• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft length/rear axle (D44) questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
lets say that I have an 8.25 in the rear and I have the RE hack and tap SYE and I have a CV shaft to go with that....

Now lets suppose that I was going to put in the rear a d44 from an xj.... what would have to happen to the shaft length? Would I have to get a shorter shaft? Would it help if I went up an inch or two?? I'm at this moment sitting at ~4" in the rear....

Kejtar

Just measure the length from the center of the tubes to the yoke face on both axles. If it's not much different, your current shaft will work.

The Dana 44 should take the same shaft as an 8.25. It's the Dana 35 that has the shorter pinion and needs a longer drive shaft.

I was actually worried that the D44 snout might be sitting higher thus I might have too long of a shaft? But I will do the measurment, plus "In Eagle... I trust" :D

ohhhhhhhhh I can't wait now! I'm thinking that maybe I should go for those 4.11's for the d44 that are out for sale..... but then again.... maybe I should actually wait to build it up as I'm planning to :D

Thanks guys :D

Kejtar

FYI, I bought my RE DS when I was at 6.5" and then proceeded to lower it back down to 4.5(which at one point sagged to 3.75-4) and I never once had a problem with my shaft bottoming out. HTH

Ary

Still don't believe you...

Look anything like this?
Dana%2044's%20Low.jpg

:D

now you have me thinking. I just installed my D44 in place of the D35. It's got 4" of lift and a YJ slip-yoke. the SY seems to be running about were it would if it were stock. can I use a 8.25 shaft instead of cutting the D35 one an inch shorter?

Back