• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any of Y'all got advice for diff. fluid change?

Bill-93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I will be changing out the fluid in both the rear and front differentials soon. I have the AMSOIL gear oil ready. I am just asking advice before I take the critter apart..... Anything special that I need to look out for? Anything tricky? Special RTV required? I am kind of funny like that, I like to have all the supplies BEFORE I start a job. Last time I scooted over to the parts store on a desepation run I busted my ass on my son's bike.
(Still got a scar or two) TIA for all the help.......... Bill-93XJ

I use the blue RTV. The factory uses some red stuff, I don't know what it is. The blue has held up well for me. Also have some brake cleaner on hand to clean inside of covers and allow the case to drain well and clean the inside of it so oil wont drip out and mess up your rtv. Run about a 1/4" bead around and make sure you run the bead all around the bolt holes. Covers can be hard to break loose, use a BFH(gently) and a flat blade screwdriver to pry off.

Ditto the RTV blue. Clean all the mating surfaces well and let it tack up about 5 minutes before putting the diff cover back on and it should seal quite nicely.
Jeff

While you have it open check for any metal shavings or REALLY discolored fluid (water, etc.) The red RTV will work fine it is just a high temp RTV. Ditto on cleaning everythin out with brake cleaner. Then wipe out any that settled in the bottom. Other than that use the correct tourqe specs to put the cover back on to gaurantee no leaks.

Matt99XJ said:
Ditto on cleaning everythin out with brake cleaner. Then wipe out any that settled in the bottom.

Do you mean absolutely everything in there?? Gears and all??? I too will be tackling this for the first time very soon and don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks.

Brian

I put a 5/16"-18x1" stud in the very top hole, so the cover won't fall off and I don't get gear oil all over me (that stuff smells awful and it don't wash off well...) I also prefer to use just a gasket under the cover - they only cost about a buck if your local's any good, and they're easier to work with.

Brake cleaner or carburettor cleaner will do for cleaning the innards, and I like to have the fluid run past a magnet into the pan so I can check for shavings.

I don't spray the gears down too much, I like to leave some oil on them. If you spray them down, brush some gear oil on the teeth you can reach just to keep them lubed before you move - the only circulation in there is from gear motion.

You can put the stud in before you take the over off - just unscrew the top bolt and put the stud in, and proceed normally. Leave the stud in and use a nut to put it all back together, and you're ready for next time.

Make sure to get ALL the OEM sealant off - scotch-brite is perfect for this. I like to clean the crud out of the inside of the cover as well - it tends to collect, but with a little solvent it wipes out easily.

5-90

Ok....silicone is the best sealer gaskets suck unless you want to change them every 2-7000 miles! I work for DC and they use silicone everywhere unless its not easily done. Even there gaskets are coated with neoprene silicone rubber to seal better. As far as the red RTV goes they are not all the same. Some reds are high temp some are resistent to aggressive oils. The DC RTV is part#5013477AA and is only required by chrysler when you use the factory fluid part#5010320AA. For some reason when they reformulated the fluid to last longer between changes it started eating the black and grey rtv's so they changed it. If you are going to use a gasket at least cover noth sides in silicone for better adhesion and longer sealing life unless you like stuff in you diff oil!:bunny:

So let me get this right, most of you dont use a gasket at all, you just use RTV? and if so why?

And what oil are you putting in your diffs?

Thanks,
Curtiss

Well, the first time I opened up the diff for service (I'm second owner, and last..) it wasn't leaking, and was RTV'd. So I figured "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and resealed it w/o a gasket. Both methods work, I guess it's just a matter of preference ???
Jeff

Back