• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Long Arm Kit ?

Best Long Arm Setup

• Clayton

Votes: 43 32.6%
  • Rubicon Express (When available)

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Rusty's

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • Full Traction

Votes: 46 34.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RockRod

NAXJA Forum User
Opinions on your setup.

Have you looked at Carolina Rock Shop for long arms? I have them on mine and have not had any problems what so ever and it was very affordable when compared to the other long arm kits you listed.

www.carolinarockshop.com

AARON

Whats very affordable. They told me 650 and claytons is 750. I personally feel claytons seems considerably stronger and I like the fact that theirs comes with a beefy xmember unlike carolina's which simply welds to the unibody. I dont think that can be nearly as strong

No comment.

:)

Clayton all the way. His stuff is bad ass. I had 16 inch rancho's and ended up taking them off cuz the flex was so awesome. I think it is the best designed and beefiest setup out there. I wanted to do carolinas but they said due to my lift hight I would have to pay extra for longer arms. I am at 11 inches in the front and I absolutely love the kit. Flexes so much my rear flex is weak compared to the front. He is also a great guy to work with.

Clayton all the way.

yea...claytons is great. he built me a custom cross-member back in the day to fit the 4" difference in tranny mount on the peugeot. i have yet to hear of one problem with this kit, besides some people not liking the loss of ground clearance.

jjvande said:
yea...claytons is great. he built me a custom cross-member back in the day to fit the 4" difference in tranny mount on the peugeot. i have yet to hear of one problem with this kit, besides some people not liking the loss of ground clearance.

Wouldn't the difference in amount of ground clearance loss from one kit to another be a factor in which kit would be considered "better"? Since the dirt or rocks don't know how the arms are built, and one type of mount over another doesn't affect tire traction, it would seem that a difference in ground clearance would be an important factor in determining which kit actually provided the best trail performance.

Uh oh.......I went ahead and commented. Sorry...... :twak:

I think it's funny that Rubicon Express got 6 votes. I mean, who are you kidding? The aledged kit isn't even out, has never been tested, and they've been saying "any day now" for the past year.
Sounds all too familiar. ;)

Jes

wannabe said:
Whats very affordable. They told me 650 and claytons is 750. I personally feel claytons seems considerably stronger and I like the fact that theirs comes with a beefy xmember unlike carolina's which simply welds to the unibody. I dont think that can be nearly as strong

The CRSU long arms have no issues with strength. I have had mine for 2 years and no problems and I know of a few others who have this kit and flat out ABUSE it and they have had no problems. The weld area on the CRSU frame brackets are comparable to the Claytons brackets if not more area. The only thing the Claytons kit has is a crossmember and you pay for that crossmember.

AARON

sdcowboy34 said:
does anybody have or know anyone who has the rock krawler 6.5 super duty long arm with rear coilovers? just wondering how well that kit works.
Look at RockKrawler post from a few days ago! A couple guys are running the 8" I believe.. :patriot:

RockRod said:
Look at RockKrawler post from a few days ago! A couple guys are running the 8" I believe.. :patriot:

Personally I don't know if I'd trust RockKrawler yet. Although from what I've read the new guy seems nice, etc etc. there past is still scary. I'd rather pay more for something I can trust than worrying about being on the highway and having their stuff break on me. Might be better to wait it out and see what happens with them.

- Kevin

Just to follow up on this thread...

A few friends of mine just finished the installation of the first production Rubicon Express XJ longarm kit in the state of alaska and I have one word...

stupid.

The design is stupid, the fitment is stupid, the geometry is stupid, the brackets are stupid, the mounting is stupid.... and for what your getting, the price is stupid. If you purchase this kit, yes you will have a stout, good looking, functional longarm kit... just after you spend a week modifying your whole damn kit and jeep to make it work correctly.

Im very displeased that a company so reputable released such crap after so much anticipation.

i have had the full traction kit on for a while now but never got the chance to wheel it. well i finaly did this weekend it works great and flexes very well i bounced the arms off a few rocks and there are jsut gouges in it no bends. as for the loss of ground clearence well unless you build your own that triangulates up by the tranny mount your gonna loose something. I know there is one kit out there that is very new that i beleive uses radius arms that mount just inboard of the fram rail on the x-member. all and all i love my lift but like a lot of other people have not had the oportunity to try out the vairious different la kits so my oppinion is bias.
sorry i forgot my camera when i went so i have no pics.

ArcticXJ said:
Just to follow up on this thread...

A few friends of mine just finished the installation of the first production Rubicon Express XJ longarm kit in the state of alaska and I have one word...

stupid.

The design is stupid, the fitment is stupid, the geometry is stupid, the brackets are stupid, the mounting is stupid.... and for what your getting, the price is stupid. If you purchase this kit, yes you will have a stout, good looking, functional longarm kit... just after you spend a week modifying your whole damn kit and jeep to make it work correctly.

Im very displeased that a company so reputable released such crap after so much anticipation.

Guess what though, I've seen many 'out of the box' kits from different manufacturers for many different vehicles...and not ONE manufacturer has EVERY kit go on exactly the same way. All parts may be exactly the same, made by the same guy using the same jig every time...but the vehicles are the biggest factor in the equation. RE had a hell of a time figuring out the kit to fit at LEAST 6 different combinations imaginable in XJs, only to find out that there are at LEAST 2 more near 'one of' (not 'off', kids) configurations that they never knew existed. Not everyone realizes that vehicle manufacturers change designs dozens of times in a model year. We've run into Ford F250/350 trucks ('99 model year being worst) that literally vary in bolt sizes and bracketry from one build week to the next. Badmouthing an aftermarket manufacturer for their product not fitting is not necessarily their fault, ok? Perhaps a little understanding on the consumer's part would make life a lot easier to deal with. ;) Granted, there are some manufacturers that have AWESOME products but have specific lines that are just plain junk (TeraFlex comes to mind...standard longarm (junk) on a TJ vs. an LCG kit (excellent) for example), while other companies just produce plain junk and have not done ANY research whatsoever. Many folks have no idea what it takes to even produce a suspension kit, especially from a liability perspective.

I hope this helps even just a little bit. Take it for what it's worth to you. ;)

It is worth a good deal. And I agree with most of your perspective.

However... I didnt badmouth Rubicon. On the contrary, I praised them. What I badmouthed was the particular kit. And Im curious to know if you have seen this complete kit yet. Most of the issues with the kit itself wouldnt be resolved regardless of which model year or build week of respective year of the jeep you were modifying. Get a close up look at this kit, even a cleanly installed one, and you'll see what i mean about all the bone-headed ingenuity that it incorporates.
I still stand by RE, and still proudly run many of their products.
They took a dump on this occasion. Period. My experience so far with this kit is exactly what I stated. Stupid. I simply relayed to others my thoughts thus far on the 5.5 "XJLA". Take them for what theyre worth to you. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back