• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One switch for Auto to manual AW4

AKjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
the idea is that one switch will lock the tranny into whatever gear the shifter is in and thus making it into a manual. i was wondering if anyone knows if this kind of a modification would hurt the wiring or anything in my 99' xj, because all who i have talked to have been helpful but have only seen it done on older models, i would really like to have this option. i have seen the option with 3 switches but would also like to know which one is easier to do. hear is a link to a site for the single switch setup http://www.rightcoastcrawler.com/billaVista/trannyswitch/auto-man_switch.htm any
any help or addvice would be greatly appreciated,

The 1-2 lockout w/TC lock-up question on the new design trans has been asked many times by myself and others!As far as I know,no one has figured it out yet!

No one had figured out the newer trans. If I had a wiring diagram, I probably could, however, would not want to try it on someone else's rig incase I figured wrong (I own a 90).

One thing you might try is finding the power source to the trans ECU (maybe a fuse?) and disconnect that while driving in a selected gear. Come to a stop and see if it stays in that gear. You may not want to try it in 3rd or 4th and actually try to accelerate up to speed. You will cause a lot of heat in the torque converter. Try it in second. You will know if it is not in 1st gear.

As far as making one swich make the trans have a manual selector, I don't think you are going to find it. If you cut the power, you will probably get 1st, 3rd, and 4th. You will not have a 2nd gear because that is electronically engaged from the ECU, and if you have cut power, you won't get 2nd.

Try if you want, but try at your own risk.

Steve

Am I right in thinking that a "valve-body" and a TCU are mutually exclusive?

If so, could you not just wire a simple full-manual TCU to bypass the regular TCU? Doesn't seem like it would be too hard - but then, I'm not sure why the trick doesn't work for the new tranny's so maybe that wouldn't work either.... I'm really just thinking with my fingers, so maybe I should stop and go sleep,eh?

Frank Swygert on the Yahoo Strokers' group runs an AW4 in a '63 Rambler wagon with a full manual switch. He used a 4 or 5 position rotary switch, so to change gears he just turns the switch sequentially from one position to the next. I don't know if he did it, but with enough positions on the switch you could have 4 sequestial positions for the 4 gears -- unlocked -- and the next position would repeat 4th gear but also enagge the TC lock.

my understanding is that the newer tranys are tied into the OBD system and no one has figured out how to get around it yet....

Does this include my 96 Cherokee Classic? I have a 97 driveline with OBD-II. I was going to do the switch conversion. Is there no way to interupt the power to the TCU in the new models?

Yeah I'm dying to know about 96s too. Some of the articles said 96.5 other say 96 and earlier. How would one tell if my 96 (classic too) is on the good side and workable?

Back