• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushings for Rubicon Express Leaf Springs

gvns8.

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched around a lot and seem to get mixed answers about RE leaf spring bushings sizes. Some people say the stock xj bushings will work on the leafs, but most, including rubicon express say they have their own sized leaf spring bushings.

Has anyone replaced theirs recently? I need to know the bushing size and the best place to buy them since rubicon express is closed and local 4x4 shops are not too helpful.

Anyone know the size of the stock leaf bushings?

Thats a killer price! Wish i would have know of that place before i called National Spring.

I can dig up a Part # from them if you want to go with a poly leaf spring bushing.

Last edited:
Thats a killer price! Wish i would have know of that place before i called National Spring.

I can dig up a Part # from them if you want to go with a poly leaf spring bushing.

That would be sweet if you could. I am planning on going with a poly bushing so hopefully they last a little longer.

Already got some of those for my control arms since those are shot too. Looking primarily for the leaf spring bushings.

On pirate4x4 one guy said the rubicon express leaf springs bushings are the same size as the BDS bushings (2.5" and 1.5"), so I would like to go with some of those, but need to confirm the size, but don't have access to the jeep to measure right now.

Oops... guess I should have read the first post.

No problem I am glad they started making these though hopefully they hold up better than RE's bushings.

RE Leaf Spring Bushings

http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-121_p_6804.html
http://stengelbros.3dcartstores.com/RB-71_p_6867.html

Seem to be a good bushing & Much cheaper than RE.
The RB-71 is the Shackle end leaf bushing.
The RB-121 is the frame end bushing.

Just figured out what size those bushings are on their site. I have seen this site quoted many times so it is probably accurate. I will be going with poly so I will have to find some that work from another place, now that I know the BDS bushings won't work.

RBBushings.JPG

Rear Bushing: RB-71 A-1.5" B-2.5" C-2.75" D-9/16"

Front Bushing: RB-121 A-2" B-2.5" C-3 1/8" D-9/16"

I have heard the stock is O.D. 1.5" rear and 2.75" O.D. front anyone know for sure what the stock sizes are? I could at least pick up the rear poly bushing meant for the stock xj leaf if I have the numbers right.

Last edited:
Found the parts on NAPA that should work turns out they are both different than stock. I am just going to go with these rather than deal with the poly, so I can pick them up locally tomorrow.

Front

Rear

These are the same bushings that the 1995 and older wranglers use.

Last edited:
Gotta resurrect this thread since I refuse to give RE bushings another chance.

These bushings appear to be correct, however, there's some conflicting info between the Stengel bushings and the posted NAPA bushings, based on dimension C in the diagram above (inner sleeve length), specifically on the frame-end bushing.

NAPA: 2.94"
Stengel: 3.125"

Is the NAPA product info wrong, or are these bushings indeed different? I'd love to see this thread turn into a de-facto source of truth... If need be, I'll drop my leaves and measure, but I'd rather avoid it.

Thoughts? Paging gvns8 (though he's been inactive for a while).

I'll dig out the RE bushings I have and measure them again.

I remember looking at this and thinking about the difference in width. The factory mounts should pull in the 3/16-inch the NAPA bushings would leave.

I measured my RE bushing (RE 1462/RE 1463, whichever goes to the front) and have 3.115" for dimension C. That makes for a 1/8-inch difference between the RE and NAPA bushings.

I think I'll try the NAPA bushings.

Hypoid - thanks for the tip. Sounds like the Stengel's will be the most accurate replacement (I'd rather not load the unibody with that much torque/deflection).

i removed the front bushing on their 4.5 leaf figuring it was a standard XJ bushing so i ordered one from advance..... doesn't fit.

the hole in the RE leaf is 2in or just a hair under. i measured best i could.

i know i get get a free one from RE but i don't care to as i just want a part # to walk into NAPA and get a replacement today, i planned on having it back in last weekend but the bushing size was a surprise

can ayone confirm that these are the actual sizes?i would like to take a set of poly bushings that are larger and machine them down to these sizes.
I wont have the luxury of a machine shop when I take it apart so I would like to make them up before hand.
thanks
mark

I'm glad I bookmarked this thread! The local auto parts were not giving me much love when I searched bushings to the YJ.

I searched the part numbers from the Stengel Bros. web site and came up with a few more listings. It turns out the bushings themselves are manufactured by DAYTON PARTS.

I also reviewed and ordered from MICHIGAN TRUCK SPRING over the holiday weekend.

The bushings should be in my mailbox when I get off work on Thursday.

HTH

Back