• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solid axle swap into XK Commander

Da XJ nut

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Anyone on here hear of anyone swapping in a solid axle into a commander? Just curious cause im just came across a smoking deal on a 06 commander that is screaming to be cool. Im thinking overland vehicle for this build, not wanting to spend a fortune but it has a 4.7 in it now. I'm thinking capable but not over the top and not a rock buggy. Thoughts??? Be open with it, keeping my XJ as daily:idea::dunno:NAXJA RULES

If you got the tools and time it can be done. Is it worth it probably not. Would be better finding a WJ if you wanted a bigger overland rig since it's already a solid axle. The 4.7 isn't that great of an engine. I have the 4.7HO in my WJ and it's been rebuilt twice under 170k. Not cheap to rebuild either.

Look up Nitro Gears WK build. They solid axle swapped it, and I think most of the suspension and drivetrain is the same, aside from maybe being a CRD engine.

Id conservatively assume you'd be 3-5k into after all said and done, and the biggest issue aside from the fab work would be making all the sensors on a modern vehicle.

Don't take this as discouragement, I'd love to see it done. However, it is a pretty large undertaking, that requires a lot of custom fab work.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I can pick up tha the commander for 500.00 bucks. I just thought it would be a fun project.... not so sure now. Thanks guys. I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet but I have found several WJ's for similar money.

Back