• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator Swap

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
O.K. I finally got rid of the closed pressure system and installed a rad from a 95XJ into my 89. No problemo. The only thing that has me scratching my head is the vacuum valve or whatever it is that is on the line right in front of the fire wall going to the heater core. There is a little vacuum line that runs through the fire wall and my guess is it goes to the heater core. Do I just plug this or cut it off or......

The vaccum line that went to your valve should hook up to that one. I am doing the same on my 88, but because it is a bit colder here I am not installing the valve to the core.

The vacuum hose runs to your HVAC panel. It closes flow to the heater core when you don't have the heat on.

Although newer XJ's didn't come with a valve anyway and coolant always flowed through the heater core.

If you removed the old valve completely as part of your upgrade and did not replace it with the newer style, then you just cap off the vacuum line. If you did install the newer style valve, you should connect the line to the new valve.

Back