• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still long first start

DARKFLY

NAXJA Forum User
ok new pump fresh tune up every thing even cleaned up tb. still takes about 4 turns of the key to start it any ideas?

Can you bypass the Jacobs ignition (use the stock ignition) and try it? I had the same problem which was caused by the Jacobs product.

no jacobs on the cherokee

....Ahhh "4Runner"
I saw "jacobs" at the bottom and didn't bother to notice the fact that it was on a non-Jeep vehicle.
I guess I have XJ on the brain....

However, I still think that it sounds like an ignition problem. Can you snag a spare one from the junk yard to test with?

ps. Where is Red Rock

The '89 has an external fuel filter above rear diff. on driver side; could be restricting fuel flow if it's old. Or, CPS could be weak; 'puter needs a good signal from it before supplying spark. Another poster mentioned that these Renix systems need the starter to spin the motor at least 300 rpm before the computer supplies spark, so even an old battery can be part of the problem.

red rock= the red rock i live under in utah :)

my fillter is brand new changed it with tune up. where is cps in dist or on trans

CPS = Crankshaft Position Sensor. It's located at about a 1 o'clock position on your bellhousing when looking from the engine compartment. There's a wiring harness that comes up from it around the back of your valve cover. There is a harness connector there that sometimes gets dirty; you should make sure that connector is making solid contact. There are many posts here about replacing the CPS; it's a bear due to it's location.

Back