• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumper/Receiver build and SFR shackles boxes

I'm super happy with this so far, after a couple days of driving it "does not move at all". It cast's a shadow on the rear glass that I can see while driving around, it doesn't shake or wobble at all.

I'm super happy with this so far, after a couple days of driving it "does not move at all". It cast's a shadow on the rear glass that I can see while driving around, it doesn't shake or wobble at all.

Glad to hear that. The movement (and related noise) is why I bailed on a JCR carrier and went back inside with the tire. I didn't know my Jeep could be so quiet.

It is totally quiet and make no noise at all, I keep forgetting that it's even back there. The other one is to park deeper in the garage or the door won't come down!

I thought I'd be done with the shackle boxes this weekend, I painted them on Friday and my shackles were supposed to get here yesterday. I won't get the shackles until tomorrow and it's been raining for the last 2 days and just guessing at the next clear day!

I received my SFR shackles today, damn these things look good so I hope they work. I'm surprised they didn't have any grease zerks, so I drilled and tapped them for some. I'll clean them up and paint them tomorrow, as I think there's a weather window for Wednesday!

They don't have zerks because the shackle is not intended to move on the bushing. They pivot on the bolt.

unless you drilled all the way through and through the center sleeve it's not going to do anything.

They don't have zerks because the shackle is not intended to move on the bushing. They pivot on the bolt.

unless you drilled all the way through and through the center sleeve it's not going to do anything.

No they don't, the sleeve is held hard when torqued down and the poly bushings have grease grooves on the inside and outside.

I can tell you that the first and second set went on my car and pivoted on the bolt. :)

wait you're right

i hadn't had coffee yet and the wording confused me

I finally got my SFR boxes installed and it's running 1/2" higher with the 5.5" shackles. They are currently at 24* but I will run this way for a few days to see if it settles any. The ride is definitely better than when my shackles were straight up! Next I'll work on the skid plate and get it done, I temp installed the exhaust pipe hangar.
P1080949.JPG

P1080971.JPG

I screwed up before on the numbers because I didn't take into account the "boomerang effect" of the shackle build. The actual center to center angle on the shackles is 12*.

1" spacing between shackle mounting holes? I'd be very curious to know how much softer the ride gets moving the shackle forward two holes.

I don't recall the spring rate as I bought these about 18yrs ago but they are original/early RE 1462 springs.

There's a couple of old post's that say the are 190lbs.

I'm curious to see how the effective spring rate changes as you try different shackle mounting holes. I checked my own rear suspension as I made mods to the leaf pack. I measured distance from frame rail to top of axle, I piled about 400 lbs over the rear axle, and measured again. Its an approximate value, but probably not far off, at least for the effective spring rate (or wheel rate) in the vicinity of the normal ride height. I don't think anyone has ever posted anything like that, and I think it would cool to add some quantitative values to associate with the change in ride quality.

I'm curious to see how the effective spring rate changes as you try different shackle mounting holes. I checked my own rear suspension as I made mods to the leaf pack. I measured distance from frame rail to top of axle, I piled about 400 lbs over the rear axle, and measured again. Its an approximate value, but probably not far off, at least for the effective spring rate (or wheel rate) in the vicinity of the normal ride height. I don't think anyone has ever posted anything like that, and I think it would cool to add some quantitative values to associate with the change in ride quality.

It sounds like you should p/u some relocation brackets and several different shackles to get your science project going!

I do intend to make my own measurements. I already have measurements before angle change, and I've ordered parts to do my own shackle relocation. Thought it would be interesting to compare to measurements that you could make.

I neither have the ability nor the time for experiments, I have a hard enough time just walking. So far I have exceeded my expectations of the original project, just building the bumper was really more than I should take on these days!

Back