• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Reinstalling control arm issues...

Jeepster4wd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys im trying to hook up my control arms. iv got the axle on 2 jack stands and need to move it forward acouple of inches so it can line up with with control arm holesq. i dont want the axle to fall off though and get damaged so what would be the best way of moving the axle forward? i tryed lifting it up by the pumpkin and it twists it any ideas?

I always install the tires and push it around to align the holes!

oh so that works? i put the tires on wasnt sure if it was going to roll when i lowered it onto wheels? the axle is only connected by the driveshaft.....

I'm a big fan of Mr. Pipe Wrench.... With your rig on the ground, clamp the pipe wrench close to the control arm mount on the axle tube, in relationship to the direction you want to rotate it to line up holes. Once the pipe wrench is snug on the axle tube, place the end of the handle on the pad of a floor jack. Jack the handle up until you line up the holes and install the bolts. It's real easy and suprisingly a very precise method to line up holes...

Ivan

a small bottle jack wedged between the axale and uniframe work well and provides a bit more control than the pipe wrench method (I've done both).

even the OEM jack will work. just a thought.

I had the same issue recently, ended up using a come along, one end hooked to the axle, and the other hooked to my aftermarket bumper receiver hitch. You could use a number of things as an anchor point other then your bumper, another vehicle for example. I also had a floor jack under the pumpkin to support it. Good luck.

Back