• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Head bolt sealant?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So I finally installed the head on my stroker last night, and got my shiny new ARP head bolts lubricated with the supplied "Ultra-Torque" lube assuming that all the holes were blind holes... but then I discovered that the driver side bolts aren't blind, and do indeed protrude down into the water jackets.

...does this mean I need to loosen all the head bolts, pull the driver side ones out, clean them, and reinstall them with ARP thread sealer (re-torquing in sequence)? And if so, am I save to re-use my brand new Mopar Performance P4529242 head gasket provided I don't actually take the head off the engine through this process?

I feel like an idiot, but would love some guidance. Thanks in advance.

Shit, I posted too soon. It just hit me (and I confirmed) that only bolt #11 protrudes into the water jacket and requires sealant (Loctite Red, etc). This isn't nearly the crisis I thought it was.

Feel free to chime in if I'm wrong.

Shit, I posted too soon. It just hit me (and I confirmed) that only bolt #11 protrudes into the water jacket and requires sealant (Loctite Red, etc). This isn't nearly the crisis I thought it was.

Feel free to chime in if I'm wrong.

No -Do not use red loctite on that bolt! FSM calls for Loctite 592 sealant or equivalent.
I would use permatex# 2 on that bolt.

I asked my machinist/engine builder what I should use for the head bolts that enter water jackets. I laid out several choices in front of him: black RTV, Hi-temp copper RTV, and pipe thread compound. He said he uses the pipe thread compound.

This is what he selected, and he has been in business for over 30 years. So, if it doesn't work, I think he would know by now.

https://www.acehardware.com/departm...-and-cements/plumbers-putty-and-sealers/45282

Back