• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight and Gauge panel issues

XJ_NorCal

NAXJA Forum User
I've had issues with my headlights lately. When my jeep is running I can turn my headlights off without issue but when I turn off the ignition my headlights turn on. If i turn the ignition on then my headlights turn off again. I've had to pull the negative terminal on my battery to get my jeep and headlights off at the same time. Any quick first checks or ideas on my issue could be?

Also, not sure if it's related but sometimes (Once a month) my gauge panel won't work. All the gauges (except the odometer numbers) will read zero (including gas tank). Eventually everything comes back on but it's rather annoying. Are these issues related? Common XJ electrical gremlins? Any help is appreciated.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
116K mile
4.0 litre
AW4
NP231 Transfer Case

Bad connections at the guage cluster are common. Remove the guage panel and clean all the terminals on the cluster and connector.

As for the headlamps, I know if I shut the key off before the headlamp switch, the lamps will stay on for a few minutes then time out. Turning the key on then back off bypasses this.

I used to be able to turn the lights off by turning the ignition on then back off. That doesn't work anymore. The headlights will stay on and do not shut off.

I'd be suspect of the headlight delay module and it's wiring.

Back