• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'79 ford D44 Tie-rod question

Fryphax

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of swapping in a 79 Ford HP D44 into my XJ, I need a tie rod and drag link still. I've been searching but I can't find out the tie-rod length I need. Does anyone know, or does anyone have a full width 44 they can measure for me.

Thanks in advance.

Also, who would you recommend I go to, to have my Tie-rod and drag link built?

- Nick

I'm sorry, but somewhere between "I'm in the process of installing", and "anyone have a full width 44 they can measure for me" I got lost. Do you not own a "tape measure". Was there a hidden question? Where can I purchase a tape measure?

^^^ LOL. I think you need to provide some more info, man, or just measure it yourself.

I've got the stock tie rod from a 78 F250 D44 I'll sell you cheap if you want it.
d

Flowers said:
I'm sorry, but somewhere between "I'm in the process of installing", and "anyone have a full width 44 they can measure for me" I got lost. Do you not own a "tape measure". Was there a hidden question? Where can I purchase a tape measure?

but I don't have it installed to take some of the measurements from. Or a stock tie-rod to measure.

Flowers, do you think that you could measure the tie-rod for me?

Fryphax said:
but I don't have it installed to take some of the measurements from. Or a stock tie-rod to measure.

Flowers, do you think that you could measure the tie-rod for me?
Do you possibly mean drag link?

CW said:
Install the axle then measure and build all your steering and track bar.

I don't have the tools or steel availability to make them myself and I want to get the project together as quickly as possible. Im still waiting on parts before I can put the front in. I was hoping I could order the steering linkage now but I need to measure for the drag-link after its in and I don't know the Tie-rod length. I've measured I just want to make sure it is accurate.

I just took the front D44 apart off a '78 Bronco (same as '79). The tie rods drag link etc. are sitting outside. If you still need the measurements I can do so on Saturday. It's late Friday night right now and raining. PM me if you still want them by Sat. morning and I'll go do it. Danno

That'd be great, only problem is didn't the broncos use a LP, narrower front than the F-250s? Wait my bad, I didn't specify in my first post like I thought I did. The axle is out of a F-250.

Back