• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another d44 question

h.curtis

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a way to tell what gears are in a d44 out of an 87-90 XJ? Also, is there a way to find out if it has trac lock without opening it? I am going to go to junk yards in my area and need help in knowing what to look for and what to ask for. Since I am going to change gears and have a 35, I am dreaming of finding a 44 out of an XJ for an easy swap. Hoping to get 4.10's, but don't even know if they made such a thing stock.

Any help on this would be great. I know they will see me comming a mile away, so I want to know something.

Thanks,
Curt

You can forget 4.10s. 3.55 behind automatics, 3.07s behind 5-speeds.

UNLESS you happen to find a 4-cyl with a Dana 44, but I don't think they made any of those.

Eagle said:
You can forget 4.10s. 3.55 behind automatics, 3.07s behind 5-speeds.

UNLESS you happen to find a 4-cyl with a Dana 44, but I don't think they made any of those.

Ok, that tells me a lot. I will be doing a gear change no matter what which is going to be expensive. It will make no difference if I find one with a 3.07 or 3.55 then, due to me wanting 4.10's.

Is there any markings or measurements if I run accross one at a junk yard that is out of the Jeep already and the guy tells me it cam out of an XJ?

Thanks,
Curt

mad maXJ said:
the easiest and most sure way is to just pop the cover, it's really not that hard.

Thanks, that isn't what I wanted to hear, but at least I know. Is it normal for a junk dealer to let me pull the cover? It would seem they would tell me no on that.

Curt

One more quetion, well in two parts....If I do find a track loc and change gears will that change anything? It would still be a track loc, right? If I can't find a posi, then I would need to put in a after market box or some such thing which I heard were not very good, correct?

Curt

Most of the D44's with Trac-loks have either the 3.07 or 3.55 gearing. There is a case break at 3.73. Since your talking about going to 4.10, your going to have to get a new case and put a Loack-right (which i have and I think it's good) or buy a Tru-trac Limited Slip with the proper case break.

You can get 4.10 gears pretty cheap off Ebay, I got my open case and 4.10 DANA gears for around $100. Usaully a new set of cheap gears run about $150 and a new case around $50.

HTH

Last edited:
Hunter-Lynchburg said:
the easy way to get 4.10's is to get an 8.8 out of an explorer. they have disc brakes too. they are also cheaper and easier to find than xj 44's, and stronger as well.

Hunter

I have decided on a 44 because it is a direct bolt up. I really don't want the ford 8.8. It isn't the right width and it requires fabrication. Once you start fabricating you are getting yourself into possible extra problems. I am sure there are some great 8.8's out there and people have done a great job with them, but it isn't what I want after doing tons of reading on this through searches. I'll find a 44 and I wouldn't be surprised if I find one in my state or Ohio. I would have to question that an 8.8 is stronger than a 44. All my drag race buddies say an 8.8 is junk, don't waste your time unless you go with a 9". They don't think a 44 is much either however. They say a d60 is good though. I think a 44 is enough for me and I can just slap it in.

Curt

XJCHUCK72 said:
Have you tried this in helping with your search for a D44? Don't forget about the MJ's they have D44's to, but you will at least have to do some mods to the perchs and I think the e-brake.

www.car-parts.com

Yes, I tried that, thanks for the post. I gotta tell you I have found 4 d44's. Three from XJ's and one from an MJ. I don't know if any are posi's. If I jack the rear up and spin a wheel will that tell me if it is a posi?

Curt

h.curtis said:
Yes, I tried that, thanks for the post. I gotta tell you I have found 4 d44's. Three from XJ's and one from an MJ. I don't know if any are posi's. If I jack the rear up and spin a wheel will that tell me if it is a posi?

Curt

Maybe.

IF the clutches aren't worn out, with a limited slip when you spin one wheel the other wheel rotates the same direction. With an open diff, rotate one wheel forward and the opposite wheels rotates in reverse. However, if the clutches are worn out in a Trac-Lok, it acts like an open diff.

However, if you'll need a new carrier because of the "break" at 3.73, this is academic. Even if you found an axle with 3.55s and a brand new Trac-Lok, it won't work with 4.10 gears and you have to replace it anyway.

There is a less expensive alternate to Chuck's suggestion: If you could live with an existing Trac-Lok if it would have worked with your new gears, then you could live with a new Trac-Lok to work with the new gears. A new Trac-Lok for a Dana 44 is cheaper than a TrueTrac for the same axle by about 30% -- and it's probably cheaper than buying a new open carrier and then buying a lunchbox locker to throw into it.

Dont forget the 8.8 is a C-clip axle.The 8.25 actually has a larger pinion gear/shaft than the D44!

Eagle said:
Maybe.
However, if you'll need a new carrier because of the "break" at 3.73, this is academic. Even if you found an axle with 3.55s and a brand new Trac-Lok, it won't work with 4.10 gears and you have to replace it anyway.

There is a less expensive alternate to Chuck's suggestion: If you could live with an existing Trac-Lok if it would have worked with your new gears, then you could live with a new Trac-Lok to work with the new gears. A new Trac-Lok for a Dana 44 is cheaper than a TrueTrac for the same axle by about 30% -- and it's probably cheaper than buying a new open carrier and then buying a lunchbox locker to throw into it.

Man, someone mentioned that "break" at 3.73 and I didn't understand what they meant. I am glad you brought it up again for me. So I am looking for any d44 from an XJ with whatever gears I guess. I have some to choose from in my area for about $200 and one was $175. I hope those are pretty good prices. Then I gotta replace a bunch of stuff in them and make it a posi. Trac-Lok is ok (what I have now), but maybe there is a better one for it. Any suggestions would be good. I heard if it is locked up too much in the rear is makes it pretty tough to drive as a daily though. Wish I could go with a OX or ARB, but dang are they expensive.

Curt

I run an Aussie locker ($200) in my D44, and I have a Manual transmission. It really is not that bad. I have ran it in the snow, on ledges, off camber, I didn't expience any extra sliding than the guys who were open. I don't have much expierence with ICE, the expience I do have is when I was open.

As far as LS's go, the Tru-trac would be a really good way to go. There about $350. They use gears not clutches.

Well, I guess the site I posted for you has changed! They used to have a link that would give a chart of the tags. I should have checked it sooner.

Depending on the number of teeth on the ring, the ring gear may be one of two thicknesses. To compensate, the carrier has to be machined to a corresponding thickness. This applies to all the Dana axles: the front Dana 30, the Dana 35, and the Dana 44. Not all of them "break" between the same ratios (to further confuse you), but what this means is that to go from 3.07s OR 3.55s to 3.73 or any numerically higher ratio you must replace the carrier.

That's why it doesn't really matter if you find a stock axle with a working Trac-Lok or not. If you're changing to 4.10 gears, you can't use the stock carrier, be it open or Trac-Lok.

Back