• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine Tick

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Soooooo...after not running for a year, a new fuel pump, a new camshaft sensor, new gas and a lot of cursing, the 2001 is running, such as it is. I immediately topped off the oil once it started, oil pressure/levelseems fine, but it's got a tick, round about the 3/4 cylinder, most pronounced on the passenger side, proportional to RPMs. Did not have this going into the year off the road. Added some extra oil and letting it rest. What's next?

Last edited:
Soooooo...after not running for a year, a new fuel pump, a new camshaft sensor, new gas and a lot of cursing, the 2001 is running, such as it is. I immediately topped off the oil once it started, oil pressure seems fine, but it's got a tick, round about the 3/4 cylinder, most pronounced on the passenger side, proportional to RPMs. Did not have this going into the year off the road. Added some extra oil and letting it rest. What's next?

I'd pull the sensor and check if everything's ok with the sensor gear. Also, get a long ( about 24") dowel and put it agenst the block where you think the noise is and put your ear to the other end. It Makes a stethoscope.once you find where it's the noisest post a pic of the area on the block.has to be running for you to hear it btw

I'd pull the sensor and check if everything's ok with the sensor gear. Also, get a long ( about 24") dowel and put it agenst the block where you think the noise is and put your ear to the other end. It Makes a stethoscope.once you find where it's the noisest post a pic of the area on the block.has to be running for you to hear it btw

I didn't move anything with the sensor cap off, will I not have to recalibrate if I start messing around with it? That said, it does mostly sound like it's coming from the area of the cam sensor, which is south of the 3/4 cylinders. Waiting for the jump pack to charge and then I'll find a tube or whatever to take a better listen.

Also, no change after full oil change.

I didn't move anything with the sensor cap off, will I not have to recalibrate if I start messing around with it? That said, it does mostly sound like it's coming from the area of the cam sensor, which is south of the 3/4 cylinders. Waiting for the jump pack to charge and then I'll find a tube or whatever to take a better listen.

Also, no change after full oil change.

That sounds kinda like a calapsed lifter. Do the pole trick and see if it's from around the cam area or lower. Also, try to limit your run time on the motor until we figure this out. Pull the valve cover and push down on the pushrods. If one gives( you shouldn't be able to easily push them down. It takes a ton of force to make them plunge) then there's your issue. If none give pull the pushrods and see if there straight. If they are I'd start looking at the bottom end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds kinda like a calapsed lifter. Do the pole trick and see if it's from around the cam area or lower. Also, try to limit your run time on the motor until we figure this out. Pull the valve cover and push down on the pushrods. If one gives( you shouldn't be able to easily push them down. It takes a ton of force to make them plunge) then there's your issue. If none give pull the pushrods and see if there straight. If they are I'd start looking at the bottom end.

How about a quart of MMO in the oil before we start tearing the engine apart?

It's more likely a lubrication problem than a mechanical failure if it's the result of siting for a while, no?

How about a quart of MMO in the oil before we start tearing the engine apart?

It's more likely a lubrication problem than a mechanical failure if it's the result of siting for a while, no?

I could see that if it had crappy oil in it. I've had them sit years at a time and never had a tick. I'm not saying your wrong. Give it a shot. If all else fails my buddy had a trail rig with more knock in it than it did anything else. Even dents.

I could see that if it had crappy oil in it. I've had them sit years at a time and never had a tick. I'm not saying your wrong. Give it a shot. If all else fails my buddy had a trail rig with more knock in it than it did anything else. Even dents.

Gah, the oil was quality, I think Mobile high mileage, but it probably hasn't been changed in 3+ years until today. It sat not running for a year, but it hasn't left the driveway in probably 4 years.

I'll give the MMO a shot, maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Gah, the oil was quality, I think Mobile high mileage, but it probably hasn't been changed in 3+ years until today. It sat not running for a year, but it hasn't left the driveway in probably 4 years.

I'll give the MMO a shot, maybe I'll get lucky.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

No problem man. Hope the best for ya. Good luck and happy jeepin

Try the mmo. If it doesn't help, a lifter tick is not the end of the world.

Well, I did the MMO, but I also solved the problem and it had nothing to do with the engine internals. What you were hearing was the arc and snap of a spark between the #5 plug boot of the distribution rail and the engine block which was then, somewhat inexplicably to me, firing the spark plug. The boot didn't seat correctly when I reinstalled after pulling the plugs to soak the cylinders in MMO before cranking for the first time. I noticed the spark now that it's dark out. I'm a little bit floored, but I rebuilt my outboard motors carbs while I was waiting for the MMO to soak in on the Jeep, so not a complete waste. Wow. Thanks for the help, I guess this turned out not so bad...

Back