• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC compressor going out?

shmicah

NAXJA Forum User
99XJ 192k miles
I think my compressor is at least 7-8 years old, and I believe it is going out.

My car runs very smooth, but when the AC clutch engages the car shudders and vibrates very bad - no squealing noises but it is loud. When it disengages, the vibes go away. I've been running it like this a few months.

The AC is still fairly cold but not as cold as I feel like it should be. Now, the reason I suspect it is going bad is that the past weeks I've noticed a strong burning smell after driving my car around. I can only smell it outside of the car, but as soon as you get near the hood it is obvious. It's not an electrical smell, it is a burning/friction-y smell. It's not coolant and I don't think its oil.

I popped the hood and smelled around, it seemed to be worst near the AC compressor which was insanely hot to the touch.

My googling says the compressor internals are likely on the way out. Next time I drive it I will be sure to keep the AC off and then see if the burning smell is gone.

A) Sound about right?
B) I should replace the entire compressor kit I think (accumulator, hose, compressor w/ clutch). Any brand recommendations? Rockauto has 4 seasons new/reman & GPD.

What do y'all think? Thanks as always :)

How much you change depends on what you find when you evacuate the system and open it up. A failed compressor can cause "Black Death" because it contaminates the entire system so everything has to be changed. Google A/C Black Death. If it hasn't done that, accumulator and compressor are all that's needed. I usually get this stuff from Auto Zone. That way if it doesn't work out of the box you can put it on the counter and tell them to give you another one.

Back