• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4600 Class KOH XJ

CherryXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi I have been lurking on NAXJA for a while now and I have had my XJ for about a year. Last February I went down to KOH and I was hooked. A couple of the racers in the 4600 class are actually from my town and I have been talking to them and their hobby has rubbed off on me and now here I am :roflmao:

So about my XJ. Meet Cherry

I have had her for a little over a year as of now, when I got her she had a lift and 32's. Front axle is a Dana 30 and rear is an 8.25 limited slip.

Since then I have done a lot of small projects/upgrades. Started with SYE then replaced the rear leafs to fix the saggy ass, XRC Bumpers, yellow top optima, Lights, new shift linkage etc. Got around to cutting the fenders to fit my Dick Cepek 35's

Oh somewhere in there I painted my grill :patriot:

So as it sits now

I have not done anything huge to it but I have big plans. Although I have an idea of what I want, this is going to be a long build as I am going to be a senior in high school and while I work full time over the summer, I can't get as many hours through school so I am hoping to be able to run KOH in 2018. I'm not bummed with it taking so long because I am still fairly new to all of this. I'm always lurking on forums learning anything I can and I go out wheeling all the time but racing is something else and it will give me time to make sure my build is where I want it and I know what I am doing.

Okay now that that is all said, here is my plan!

I am under the impression that to race in KOH you have to qualify by placing top 5 in any other race correct? If that is so, I plan on racing in Glen Helen in 2017 as that will give me about a year to get ready, and then hopefully racing 8 months later in KOH.

My biggest concern is my Dana 30. I know guys that crawl up damn near anything with one, I know guys that swear its the devil. I am going to build it to be strong as shit and if everything goes how I would like I would swap for a better axle in between Glen Helen and KOH.

I will be putting in Ten 30 Spline chromoly axles and an Eaton E locker with 4.88 gears. I also read about a reinforcement kit from poly for the tubes I'd like some opinions on:
http://www.polyperformance.com/Synergy-Jeep-JK-TJ-LJ-XJ-ZJ-D30-44-Inner-Axle-Sleeve-Kit
Worth it? Would it help much?
I also want to truss the front axle well so it has as much support as it can get, upgrade knuckles, high steer, etc. I have not decided on which ones to go with there but I know I will want it.

After that, I plan to get bucket seats and 5 point harnesses and start on the cage. Then suspension, which I would love to hear suggestions for. I have read about all the 3 Links, Radius arms, 4 Links, pros/cons of each and I would like to hear your thoughts. I know the full traction kit has a good rep but if I could build something similar for less than $1000 I am all for it. Welding is not an issue although I am by no means a fabricator, I plan to learn eventually so I will get better as the build progresses.

I am open to any criticisms, suggestions, questions, help, or sponsorships :roflmao:

Like I said this will be a slow moving, long build but I will be updating with everything I do. Let me know what you think!

A few things.

* You don't need to qualify for the stock class, just register and pass safety tech.

* Rumor is there will be no Glen Helen in 2017.

* Read here:
http://www.northamericanxjassociation.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1075100

* Contrary to what math you write out up front, a super budget build that will pass tech is going to cost you somewhere around $20,000. History has shown you'll spend another 20K before you finish your first KOH. Maybe you'll get lucky, but most people don't.. the race is a lot harder than it looks.

A bunch of us here are happy to help. There are currently 3 XJ's competing in the stock class that are all pretty good friends and help each other out all the time - and a bunch of other racers that show up here and there, but less often.

Where are you located?

Last edited:
A few things.

* You don't need to qualify for the stock class, just register and pass safety tech.

* Rumor is there will be no Glen Helen in 2018.

* Read here:
http://www.northamericanxjassociation.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1075100

* Contrary to what math you write out up front, a super budget build that will pass tech is going to cost you somewhere around $20,000. History has shown you'll spend another 20K before you finish your first KOH. Maybe you'll get lucky, but most people don't.. the race is a lot harder than it looks.

A bunch of us here are happy to help. There are currently 3 XJ's competing in the stock class that are all pretty good friends and help each other out all the time - and a bunch of other racers that show up here and there, but less often.

Where are you located?

Yeah poor boy racing and petty cash racing are from my town ridgecrest CA, Brian hays races a ZJ in 4600 from ridgecrest also. I've talked with them a bit and will more in the future. The money is alright because I don't have a time constraint, I might be optimistic about 2018 but I'm happy to take as long as I need to to do it right!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I can assure you that petty cash racing isn't from ridgecrest.. ;)

My advise is to keep that pretty jeep the way it is and go get a POS out of the junkyard to build. Seriously. Racing in 4600 is less aggressive than 4400, but there's still a fair amount of contact. I think 4643 is the only cherokee that didn't lose a couple doors this year, and that's because it only raced a couple laps at glen helen.

Besides the fact that the Jeep is guaranteed to get beat up like an old beer can, to make it legal and competitive you've basically gotta gut everything out of the inside, as well as all the glass and throw it all away.

THEN you get to start throwing money at it.

To give you an idea, if I were to have charged Cal for all the work we did at my shop just to repair it and prep it for Glen helen he'd have a bill several pages long and probably nearing 5 digits.......and that's on a competitive car that's already built.

Damn those Petty Cash guys. :p

Poor Boys too. I put my sticker on their car, and they just went and F'd it all up!

12472314_10209191299449733_6172468203362850911_n.jpg

I would agree with that statement. Find a beater pre 97 with a blown engine and broken windows for $200 and build that. Its harder to find replacement late model body parts and they cost a lot more.

I have gone through 2 hoods, 2 front clips, 4 full sets of doors and 4 sets of quarter panels.

B&B Racing has cut the roof and A/B/C pillars off of their car 3 times to put a new one on, while replacing the doors, hood and front clip at the same time.

That's the reason Poor Boys copied our hybrid cage, it gives you more headroom (which is tight after putting race seats in) and protects the car when you run out of talent.

I can assure you that petty cash racing isn't from ridgecrest.. ;)
Not from ridgecrest but unless I heard shawn wrong in ridgecrest before glen helen? Or maybe just camping together I don't remember 😂 but poor boy and Brian definently are!

Just camped together. We'll all be heading out wheeling in November. See if you can get a running chassis by then!

My advise is to keep that pretty jeep the way it is and go get a POS out of the junkyard to build. Seriously. Racing in 4600 is less aggressive than 4400, but there's still a fair amount of contact. I think 4643 is the only cherokee that didn't lose a couple doors this year, and that's because it only raced a couple laps at glen helen.

Besides the fact that the Jeep is guaranteed to get beat up like an old beer can, to make it legal and competitive you've basically gotta gut everything out of the inside, as well as all the glass and throw it all away.

THEN you get to start throwing money at it.

To give you an idea, if I were to have charged Cal for all the work we did at my shop just to repair it and prep it for Glen helen he'd have a bill several pages long and probably nearing 5 digits.......and that's on a competitive car that's already built.
The junkyard in town has a handful of cherokees so I'll see what they want for one, the reason I was thinking about building my current xj up was to have a start already but I'd end up redoing the suspension and those xrc bumpers wouldn't stay so there's not a lot of money into it other than that lol
I'll check out the junkyard Sunday and try to setup a place I could store it while it's being worked on

The start is stripping it down to an absolute bare metal chassis, to start welding on it.. so any 'start' is a net loss really.

You want to make it as light as possible, so the XRC stuff should probably come off in favor of custom tube bumpers anyway.

Just camped together. We'll all be heading out wheeling in November. See if you can get a running chassis by then!
Where at? And I'll get it started soon, I might be able to get a running chassis by then, that may be pushing it though 😂

The hammers. There's a big XJ event out there the weekend before Thanksgiving week every year, 30-50 XJ's at the hammers. Poor Boys joined us last year, and B&B said they'll be out this year as well. We'll probably go run a big chunk of last years EMC course.

The start is stripping it down to an absolute bare metal chassis, to start welding on it.. so any 'start' is a net loss really.

You want to make it as light as possible, so the XRC stuff should probably come off in favor of custom tube bumpers anyway.
Makes sense. Then I can keep my pretty xj as my dd and crawler 😂

The hammers. There's a big XJ event out there the weekend before Thanksgiving week every year, 30-50 XJ's at the hammers. Poor Boys joined us last year, and B&B said they'll be out this year as well. We'll probably go run a big chunk of last years EMC course.

Oh that's cool, I could make it out there, idk about having this one ready to run hammers by then but it'd be badass to go check it out!

Last edited:
Not from ridgecrest but unless I heard shawn wrong in ridgecrest before glen helen? Or maybe just camping together I don't remember �� but poor boy and Brian definently are!

If you know Sean and the Twins then you probably know FU2 Rob and Flash so hit them up for local help.

My best advise to you is to not listen to *ANYTHING* Cal has to say about how to build a car. His 'race car' is a vortex of vehicle compromise and his advice is always half ass and backwards. :/

Dallas has come in just recently to help Cal (as they just recently just started dating) and has made things a little better but he can't make crap smell like flowers (if you know what I mean). He has excellent advice and fab skills but I still don't know why he hangs around Cal who lacks any skills.....sort of like Felix and Oscar relationship if you know what I mean.

Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
If you know Sean and the Twins then you probably know FU2 Rob and Flash so hit them up for local help.

My best advise to you is to not listen to *ANYTHING* Cal has to say about how to build a car. His 'race car' is a vortex of vehicle compromise and his advice is always half ass and backwards.....as is his driving :/

Dallas has come in just recently to help Cal (as they just recently just started dating) and has made things a little better but he can't make crap smell like flowers (if you know what I mean). He has excellent advice and fab skills but I still don't know why he hangs around Cal who lacks any skills.....sort of like Felix and Oscar relationship if you know what I mean.

Good luck with your build.
Yeah I know the fu2 guys, I had talked to them about some stuff earlier this year when I first had the thought to race.
After putting some more thought into this I want to race still and I will get a junkyard car to do it, but I'm going to wait a few years and completely "finish" my current XJ and get a DD and a garage. It'll be nice to get the fab experience when I build the cage and 3 and 4 link on this XJ then when I go to the race jeep it'll be less first experiences and will most likely turn out better. Thanks for all the input though it helped a lot! and I know what I will want to do in the future. For now I'll just work the pits at the U4 races if poor boy or any other team needs a hand. If not ill still be there in the stands making vroom noises dreaming of my racejeep to be 😂😂😂

Yeah I know the fu2 guys, I had talked to them about some stuff earlier this year when I first had the thought to race.
After putting some more thought into this I want to race still and I will get a junkyard car to do it, but I'm going to wait a few years and completely "finish" my current XJ and get a DD and a garage. It'll be nice to get the fab experience when I build the cage and 3 and 4 link on this XJ then when I go to the race jeep it'll be less first experiences and will most likely turn out better. Thanks for all the input though it helped a lot! and I know what I will want to do in the future. For now I'll just work the pits at the U4 races if poor boy or any other team needs a hand. If not ill still be there in the stands making vroom noises dreaming of my racejeep to be ������

Good deal. We'll see you at the races :greensmok

I was curious about this. Thanks for confirming it. Congrats to the lucky couple!

CherryXJ,

Stick close to these guys and learn everything you can from them. Don't get too involved with another jeep because when you start building a racecar then it becomes all about the racecar and everything else suffers. racecar. Same goes for buggies I think... Cracker had a badass Comanche, then he got a buggy, now he doesn't have a comanche anymore.

Back