• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about brakes (88 XJ)

88twodoor

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new to me 88 XJ 4.0 5spd 4X4 2-door

Already have an 88 MJ (actually bought the XJ for parts, but am thinking about fixing it up)

Seller said the brakes could be "sticky" - sure enough, sometimes when you use the brakes they drag.

Weird part is that you can put your foot under the brake pedal and un-stick them by pulling up on the brake pedal....this HAS to be the booster or brake pedal/bracket itself right? No way to un-stick a caliper or shoe by pulling up on the brake.

I know on the 88 Comanche there is a recommended brake upgrade using a later WJ brake booster - same thing for the XJ? Is there some reason to stick with OEM on the XJ or should I just upgrade to the WJ booster?

I used a 95-96 XJ booster and MC on my 94, and yes, a MJ is the same in this regard. It requires a 1/4" spacer between the booster and the firewall but doesn't require modification to the eyelet to activate the brake light switch. I went this route for ease of replacement and I was buying new parts. If you're getting parts from a JY, a WJ is infinitely easier to find than a 95-96 XJ, which I suspect, is why you hear more about the WJ swap.

I just swapped in the brake booster and master cylinder from a 99-04 grand cherokee. Pretty simple swap just don't take too much off the brake booster rod that connects to the pedal. I didn't have brake lights for a bit and had to add three layers of duct tape in order to have them work correctly. I didn't understand the switch needs a little resistance when not having any force applied in order to operate correctly.

I had my cruise controle "not work" a few times and lifting the pedal worked. Also keeps the brake lights on. I don't care enough about it to figure out why and I'm going to assume it has more to do with grinding too much and adding duct tape.

I had my cruise controle "not work" a few times and lifting the pedal worked. Also keeps the brake lights on. I don't care enough about it to figure out why and I'm going to assume it has more to do with grinding too much and adding duct tape.

Or maybe just adjust the switch?

i recently had similar issue front brakes stick on while on jack stands could not move the front wheels i broke loose the 2 bolts holding master to booster which released pressure on the brakes letting me know issue was master or booster issue ruling out hose caliper ect issue upon further investigation found master cylinder leaking fluid from rear into the booster removed booster to dump fluid out and clean reinstalled and replaced master this fixed the issue

Back