• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another cheep cherokee build

lorax81

NAXJA Forum User
After a nightmare of a engine swap Ol' blew finally runs again. So now its time to start actually doing a build to give this poor heep a 4th chance at life.

Right now the rig has
90 XJ (2500
'93 HO motor, trans, t-case with 95k (400$ thanks jeepguy)
4.5" RC xtreme series lift (800$ 4 years ago)
custom bumps front rear (spare steal from shop just a little time)
some lights, cb, pa, other little dodads (had cb, lites were 50$ w/shipping and they accidently sent 2 pair, pa 10$)
fenders cut pretty much to the max (again just a little time)
new patchwork floor pans (perfect use for a chevy hood)
steering box brace (more time and scrap steal)

project list (maybe not in this order)

delete rear bench add 2 brat seats
Snorkel W/canister cleaner
finish bumpers
Open coolant system
stiffin the uni add rockers and cage
Sye
roof rack
8.5" lift maybe long arms maybe not
new bump stops
fullsize axles d44 front ford 8.8 rear
do somthing about the stupid head liner
tranny cooler
electric fans delete mechanical
dual batt

My goal is to use the parts and pieces i already have. build what i gotta build and buy as much as i can from the JY I know there is going to be somethings i have to buy but i am doin this on the cheap

any and all suggestions and help is appriciated

J
my patchwork floorpans
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q241/lorax81/stearingboxbrace003.jpg
and steering box brace
stearingboxbrace002.jpg

Yeah, why so much lift? Totally unnecessary.

Since you want to go cheap you can forget the open cooling system. The closed system cools just as well or better. While you're at the junk yard grab a spare expansion bottle. It's an internet falsehood that the open system cools better, generally a closed system works better than an open system, which is why most (if not all) brand new cars and trucks now have closed systems.

Same with the dual electric fans. Stick with what you have unless you just want it for power reasons. Many who have done dual electrics went back to the mechanical because it works better. The XJ cooling system works just fine as long as all the parts are good, and the only upgrade needed eventually on every rig is a new radiator since the originals get plugged up.

Since you're going cheap, might as well scratch off a few unneeded things from your list. :)

Personally i like jeeps for its offroad capability...but i also love the way they look, So if he wants to go 8.5 well so be it, even though it is not necessary, it still looks cool.

I got 7.5" on 35's and could not be happier, I could not think of going down any. Go for 8.5" but make sure you do it right, using which ever parts (From JY or new or homebrew) but just make sure you do your research and do things the right way! Well done plan!

the only reason for the 8.5 is because i already have the springs and with all the weight i plan on putting on the rig it will probably even out to7-7.5. my 4.5 rc has already sagged to about 3.5. I if i do not run long arms i will fab up some drop brackets which will happen anyway when i put my uni stiffiners + x-members + cage. It is my opinion that in order for all that to work i need to design it all at once.

Tire size might be anything from 35s to 37 depends which is most reasonable at the time.

UPDATE:

Brat seats have been fabbed up and are installed. i still need to paint the frame and make the hi lift mount and some other fine tuning if i will post pics when available

just got back to my computer promised a shot of the brat seats they are not finished i still need to add the hi lift mount across the front two supports and maybe some more braceing and protection for those fuel tank lines and paint
bratseats.jpg

Back