• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving VS Towing

Driving or towing

• towing

Votes: 34 77.3%
  • driving

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • other? explain

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
Driving.
No tow rig, no trailer.

Driving. Drove out & back for the 25th,will do the same this time.
Close to 4400 miles from Va and back...still running the same drivetrain.
Well it did get a new motor at 400,000...

We will be taking both the XJ and the Suburban. I think the Suburban would be maxed out loaded down with camping gear and towing the XJ on a fullsize car trailer, so I might drive the Jeep and Shannon drive the Suburban. Or we might flat tow the XJ. Both have to get there and both have to come home, we will figure out something.

We will be taking both the XJ and the Suburban. I think the Suburban would be maxed out loaded down with camping gear and towing the XJ on a fullsize car trailer, so I might drive the Jeep and Shannon drive the Suburban. Or we might flat tow the XJ. Both have to get there and both have to come home, we will figure out something.

Similar picture here, but my Suburban is a 3/4 ton, so towing the XJ on a full size car trailer is a more feasible option.

If The Bride decides she doesn't want to go and it is just me and The Varmints then we will probably drive the XJ, but if The Bride wants to go it will be a towing trip.

Heard that. My old 1500 ram may get quiet a workout. If I can score a cabin or hotel the kids and wife will be going so we will tow. If they don’t go I’ll be driving the XJ just for the experience of it.

I've done both, driving out there was definitely a fun experience, but I prefer towing. I tend to keep a ton of extra crap in the tow rig, and I'll sleep in the back of it on the way there and back.

I'm towing and/or shipping mine out. Still pondering options.

But I'm not driving it.

Best case is finding a way to ship it with some other MWC folks and then either flying out or renting/borrowing a van and driving it out aka cannonball run out with everyone that put their junk on the truck.

Option 2 is splitting a trailer with Pat like we've done in the past in 2008 and 2013. Tho neither of us has a truck or trailer to do it at the moment.

The last and likely option is pulling the Jeep out on the trailer with the RV. I'll need a co-driver tho because the wife is flying out either way.

mac 'no kids coming' gyvr

the shipping option sounds enticing. I never considered it due to price. I may be able to rent a semi/lowboy setup pretty cheap but fuel wont be cheap the truck gets about 5mpg. but driving would be free and at least 4 spots depending on how you pack it id guess

If you end up getting a rate on a shipping truck and have a spot shoot me some info.

A "group rent" instead of the all familiar "group buy"; interesting notion.

Towing. NC to UT and back? Fat chance i'm driving the XJ. Hell I don't even like driving it on a day trip to Uwharrie and that's 45 minutes from home!

A "group rent" instead of the all familiar "group buy"; interesting notion.

I've run the truck 1500 plus miles on a fill but that is at around $600 to fill it.

Not really worth it unless its split at least 4 ways. Then it may still not be worth it. Depends what they would rent it to me for the week

Chicago to Moab and back cost me around $800 in gas. That's towing the Jeep behind a 2500 gasser. I think the gas was half that when I drove the Jeep out there.

It will cost me about 50 cents a mile to tow my Jeep with the RV.

That means I need to budget approximately $1500 in fuel costs.

If I can ship it out for $500 each way/ $1000 total...I will.

The time frame can be flexible, because I'd bet we could find a couple folks in or near Moab that could store our junk for a couple days.

If there are several of us that do it and can cannonball out there, that will save a day on the road and a night in a hotel.

mac 'this is why we start planning/saving now' gyvr

Im on the fence as well about how the jeep is getting out there but either way it will be getting towed out. If i can find a decent price for having it shipped i just might go that route but more than likely will just be towing it out with the hillbilly camping trailer/car hauler.

I wish I had a tow rig, but I don't. So I'll be driving with a stopover in Las Vegas along the way. That'll make for a short first leg and a much longer second leg, but I'll be able to get a room comped and may even get lucky at the craps tables. It could happen!

Back