• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Colored gauges in the instrument cluster. Ricers rejoice!

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
So about 3 years ago I decided I wanted red cockpit lights and replaced the 194 bulbs in the instrument cluster with red ricer bulbs. It looked pretty cool for a while, and then, just like everyone said they would, the bulbs burnt off the coloring and the light faded to an ugly pale orange.

I had used theatre gel in various places around the dash (stock radio, key illum., shifter panels), and I tried cutting some to fit the cluster, but the way the lights shine up through the gauges, it's extremely difficult, and any place that lets white light through will fade out the color. So I gave up and drove it like it was for a couple years.

In the recent process of totally gutting the interior, the dash came out, and I took the opportunity to do this right.

There are two other options that I am aware of.

One is using EL glow string beind the front bezel. I don't like this option because you lose the dimmer, your colors are limited, and supposedly EL string loses intensity over time. Plus it's (imo) a wiring hassle.

The second option would be to go to glow-gauges. I personally do not like white face (green blue, whatever) gauges, so I would want reverse glow gauges. Aside from the color limitations (I want red), there's the rather difficult problem of viewing unilluminated gauge needles at night with the reverse setup. I could probably make something myself if I could successfully remove and replace the needles, but on a 96, apparently removing the needles destroys the gauge.

Anyway, that's why I decided on this method. On with the show.

After a fair bit of measurement and test fitting, I created a CAD file and sent it off to Phil at bclaserworks.com to be cut in 1/8" transparent red acrylic. He was very helpful and offered a great price too. After receiving the finished piece, I made some final tweaks and put a copy here for your use: http://www.savefile.com/files/2213149 You may use the file and design for personal use. If I catch you selling these templates I will find you, rip off your larcenous arms and beat you to death with them.

Here's what I got back:

Ooooh! Pretty red:

Just a hair too small though. I modified the file to correct this:

Letting it rest on the existing ledge leaves a gap, and that won't work:

So I cut a couple pieces of acrylic to act as supports. I left room on top to glue some foam on so that there's no rattling:

Actually I got so frustrated with one of the little stands that I snapped it out and just glued (JB Weld) the foam to the side. I added another little strip to the piece on the bottom half to bring it up to the desired mark:

Finally, I ran a very thin bead of silicone along the top edge of the cutouts, so that the back of the gauges doesn't rattle against the acrylic. I also ran a thin bead around the outer edges so that it fits tighter into the cluster, but that shouldn't be necessary with the modified file:

If you want red turn signals, you will have to sand the green color off the little plastic insert and sandwich some colored theater gel in between. There is not a lot of clearance, so a piece of acrylic will not fit there.

Do note that the gas gauge MUST be inserted while the panel is outside the cluster, as it will need to be angled in. The rest of the gauges can be placed in after the panel is installed.

With all those pictures you'd probably expect one at the end of the finished result and how it looks at night. My dashboard is still not back in the jeep, but I felt like getting this out of the way. I will post finished pics in a week or two and that will be a good excuse for me to bump my own thread :D

Last edited:
Apparently, the mask (the red stuff) goes between the operator and the panel lights, which makes the lighting red (much like the red bulbs he initially used.)

However, "theatre gel" - like what he's using - is going to be a LOT more durable than the red 194 bulbs (theatre gel, as I recall, is meant to go over Kleig lights, which are WAY hotter than 194's!)

I like the idea, and it has some merit. I'd probably take it one step farther and use some sort of "spray chrome" on the back of the gage bezel, which should allow for somewhat greater lighting output on the gages. The red colour should help with night-adapted vision (I'm also planning on putting in "cut-off" switches for all exterior lighting, "just in case...")

I might also consider using a sheet of blue gel as well - since it would allow for somewhat greater contrast with the gages but not be so bright. I use blue lights in some cases anyhow - they also show up blood trails quite well, and are useful to the hunter (blood fluoresces slightly under a strong blue light.)

Perhaps offer this as a pre-made item in some colours - red and blue at least, and maybe a good amber or yellow and green as well, just to be different?

5-90

Man, if only the '97-up clusters were that easy to take apart. I went with the glow gauges from 4x4Mods. I wanted the green to match the exterior.
Looks pretty good so far. Looking forward to the finished product!

I've decided to go with colored lights in mine. I just hate how the white guages bother me at night. I'm just stupid about light pollutuion I suppose.
There are colored LED replacement 194's available
http://www.ledtronics.com/ds/AUT67/default.asp
I think that's the right bookmark.
The acrylic with incandescents will probably look nicer, but I'm lazy, and I'm a sucker for all things LED :)

lilredwagn said:
With all those pictures you'd probably expect one at the end of the finished result and how it looks at night. My dashboard is still not back in the jeep, but I felt like getting this out of the way. I will post finished pics in a week or two and that will be a good excuse for me to bump my own thread :D
You bastard! I get to the end of this thread and discover its just a teaser? Dammit, a pox on you...

:D

So far that looks really professional. I have also been thinking about red gauges, and I wonder, are the red bulbs that fade over time a just low-quality "ricer" bulb or does this apply also to seemingly higher quality bulbs like the Sylvania or GE 194R? I have also looked at Autometer-style slip-on bulb covers? Does anyone have a recommendation regarding those?

lilredwagn- If you don't mind my asking, how much did it cost you to have that piece cut?

I'm thinking the spray-chrome idea on the back of the bezel is going to be a must for me as I have an '87 and the back of mine is currently a light blue color.

Sorry, gave up on the bling to chase down some noises. Got a road trip coming up and I think my diff is going out. Gonna go snap pics in a minute.

Regarding the cost, for an exact figure you'd have to email [email protected] and attach the file I linked to, and specify the type of material you want it cut into (this is 1/8" transparent (not translucent) red acrylic), and where you want it shipped to. Once I got my quote I went to their payment page and paid through paypal (with credit card - you don't need a paypal account, but can use it if you have one). I didn't ask about other forms of payment. It took a week or so, and I got my package USPS. Total cost to me, including material and shipping was less than $15

Also, if you do this, let me know how it fits the cluster, as I made it a hair larger than mine. Worst case, if I goofed up, is you'll have to sand or dremel 1/16" off the sides, but obviously I *think* I got it right.

Hmmmm. This project seems to be turning out like everything else I do.

It's definitely dimmer than the colored bulbs. I had hoped that sticking to 1/16" would let enough light through. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm wondering if it might not be better to use 1/16" transparent clear as a substrate, and attach a piece of theatre gel to the top. That ought to let more light through, though it's extra hassle. (Edit: I said 1/8" in earlier post, but this is definitely 1/16")

It's bright enough that I'm not going to monkey with it - I'm not squinting to see the gauges or anything - but I have pretty good night vision and prefer dimmed gauges anyway, so if you like bright gauges, this route isn't for you.

Also, my camera is a piece of junk, so I don't know whether the camera is partly to blame, or if the gauges are really that much dimmer than before.

Since the pictures were barely visible, it's not obvious, but the light on the odometer is still yellow/white, as I forgot that it is lit from behind. I will have to tape some theatre gel in there or something. Or maybe try those colored bulb condoms that were mentioned.

The other possibility is that I replaced all the 194 bulbs with sylvania 194LL (long life). If those get their longer life from running dimmer, this should be killer with fully volted bulbs.

Here is a picture at dusk and at night, nevermind that I mixed up the filenames:

Using the same camera (but three years ago, before it was held together with rubberbands) I got this picture after I installed the colored bulbs that faded on me.

It's not that it's not functional, but it just isn't the super application I thought it would be.

I guess I'll go drive around and see if I change my mind.

Edit: The gauges are way too dim, even for me, my fuel gauge thinks I'm a gallon over full, my jeep is running at a cool 170 degrees, and apparently is running without oil pressure. In other words, despite a whole lot of promise, this was yet another misadventure.

Last edited:
Just some thoughts...

It would be interesting to see if you could make a new template in 1/16" instead of 1/8" and/or pick a lighter shade of red. Once the light of the bulbs hits the template it probably doesn't matter how red it is as long as it is "red enough".

I painted the whole inside of the cluster red, the back of the guages, and the back of the bezel. that works except for a little bit of white light around the odometer. I have purple gel over the turn signals too. good work, hope you figure it out.

Yes the neon string is a pain in the ass, but it has worked for me. I have the green and comboed that with the white gauges. I like it. If you splice the wiring for the neon string onto any other wiring that comes on with the parking lights/head lights it will dim with all the other gauge lights. You might want to think about comboing the red neon string with the red bulbs. Just an idea.
Here's a picture of mine. In the picture it doesn't look as green as it does in person.
After3.jpg

I bought a set of Osram Cool blue wedge bulbs the guy told me that their output is greater than an LED ( has to do with light propagation) I am really happy with them at least I can see my odometer at night.

Back