• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1992 (chrysler?) steering column in 1988 XJ (originally GM Column), possible?

JonnyRo

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to use a newer style steering column in an older XJ?

The donor column is from a 1992 XJ I believe, but I cannot be certain.

I wanted to get an idea if the swap was possible before I went and had the donor column rekeyed (the original key is missing).

The new column will be going into my 1988 XJ.

Is it possible to use a newer style steering column in an older XJ?

The donor column is from a 1992 XJ I believe, but I cannot be certain.

I wanted to get an idea if the swap was possible before I went and had the donor column rekeyed (the original key is missing).

The new column will be going into my 1988 XJ.

I don't think 92's had chrysler columns... as far as I know, ealiest was 95...

Not sure when it changed to chrysler but my 94 does have the chrysler key, but 95 was the first year for the airbag. Other than the key, the column appears (visually at least) to be the same as my 89. I would be surprised if all the electronics were the same. I suppose it depends on your reason for swapping if it will work or be an economical choice.

I put a 94 column in a 88. It is a bolt in. Anything newer and you will be in for a treat. I just put a 97 dash and column in my 89 MJ, not fun!

Thanks for the tips. I'm hopefully going to get to install this next weekend.

I've been starting my XJ with a pair of pliers for 2 years, as the column was damaged when someone stole it from me (later recovered).

Back