• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Inner axle seal for 297 axle swap

jeepboy381

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to be swapping my disco axle shafts out tomarrow for the 297 non disco axles. I just need to know the part number for the seal that replaces the one inside the disco housing since the diameters of the two different shafts are different. Can I get it at a auto parts store?? Any help appriciated!! :huh:

You can't just replace the seal AT the vac. disco housing. You have to pull the carrier and put it in the end of the tube AT the carrier, just like the drivers side. The axle shaft is NOT smooth machined at the vac. disco opening so it will tear up the seal in no-time. It is a special seal that goes in the pass. side and I didn't write down the part # at the time I did it. The only place I found it was Randy's R&P in the disconnect block off kit that included the plate and seals for like $25.

John

Hope it goes better for you than it did for me....I STILL haven't found the right seal, and I got the kit from Randy's....which reminds me...I better call them again since they seem to have forgotten...anyways, of the two seals in the kit that are meant to fit the pass side...one is too small OD and the other is too large OD....maybe my heep is just wierd.

MudDawg said:
Hope it goes better for you than it did for me....I STILL haven't found the right seal, and I got the kit from Randy's....which reminds me...I better call them again since they seem to have forgotten...anyways, of the two seals in the kit that are meant to fit the pass side...one is too small OD and the other is too large OD....maybe my heep is just wierd.

XJ's are weird. I had the WARN seals, both wrong sizes.

Go to napa and get seal # 11771...thats what worked for me. :beerchug: (chuckd used it too.)

I had the same problem.....tried two if randy's kits and then the driver side seal in the disco housing twice.....with no luck.....don't know what the deal was but now it is on to a 44 front.

Back