• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering pop when turning

xactorocker

NAXJA Forum User
hey when i turn left or return to center i hear a pop like sound not sure what it could be anyone have any ideas? thank you. i have a 92xj 4.5in lift
seems like the car wont track straight till i jerk the wheel the other way to make it pop.

Check rod ends, control arm bushings and your steering linkage

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Have a helper turn steering while you lay on ground looking/listening/feeling for whatever it is that is worn out. Also check track bar ends plus: axle end bolt torque, and frame bracket bolt torque.

Last edited:
just put new lower control arms in and got a alignment the other day didnt help and they didnt say anything about the tie rods going bad but what is the steering linkage does it connect to the steering box or are you talking about the whole steering assembly. thanks

Have a helper turn steering while you lay on ground looking/listening/feeling for whatever it is that is worn out. Also check track bar ends pluis, axle end bolt torque, and frame bracket bolt torque.

OK thank you i am going to go out and try this tonight just one question whats the frame bracket thank you ill some back tonight with what i have found.

yes steering linkage goes from steering box to the front tires.

hey i think i might have figured it out i think yall were right about the frame mount did not get a chance to drive it because i also had to fix a leak in my coolant res. But turned it in place and seems better. Crazy a little bit more torque can change things torqued to 85lb. then i also trimmed a tie rod bolt where it was rubbing the tracbar. ill come back later today when i actually get a chance to drive it. thank yall for the help so far.

The steering box connects to the frame through a little aluminum spacer that tends to crack over time. Lots of companies sell steel replacements. If you don't fix it the movement will lead to the framerail cracking eventually

ok i think mine is currently ok because i just added a new bumper and it went on ok and the spacer didn't fall out in little pieces but haven't pulled it out all the way out to actually see it.

hey yall i was able to take my daily back out today and yeah i think it was the upper trackbar bolt just that little bit of torque. on a side note would adding a front sway bar in anyway reduce steering slop from adding my lift? thank you

on a side note would adding a front sway bar in anyway reduce steering slop from adding my lift? thank you

You would need to explain what you call steering slop, but I haven't run a sway bar in 10yrs and I'm at 5.5" with 3* of caster.

i mean as soon as you turn the wheel you start to turn just feels loose till you move it a little past center. im fine with it was just wondering and will i gain much from actually adding a sway bar?

i mean as soon as you turn the wheel you start to turn just feels loose till you move it a little past center. im fine with it was just wondering and will i gain much from actually adding a sway bar?

Sounds like you need to check all your steering components. Everything in your front suspension will affect how it drives. Post up your alignment specs as a start, but that height without attention to details will usually have some issues. Post up what components you currently have.

yeah i dont have a alignment sheet because i didnt ask for it when i got it done. but all my steering is pretty much stock other than i had to drill a hole for my trackbar as the lift instructions said and move it over a 3/4 inch or something like that. should i get a adjustable one?

im really just wondering if there is anything i can make sure is tight or replace that wont break the bank and that i wont need another alignment. side note when i took it to the shop to get the alignment they did say the axle u joints are pretty bad if that would matter. thats a big project and am going to try and get to it soon. thanks again for the help the car already drives a million times better without the popping and all.

side note when i took it to the shop to get the alignment they did say the axle u joints are pretty bad if that would matter.

That would not have anything to do with your steering. Get a pic of your steering angles, at that height you need a trackbar and drop bracket to fix that.

Back