• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Source of Gearbox leak?

fenns7

NAXJA Forum User
My 1996 XJ (RHD) with AW4 and 242 has had a small leak of tranny fluid since I've owned it (6+ years) so I check the level regularly and top up frequently but it's now getting worse and a pain in the rear end so I'm trying to locate the source and make it oil tight once and for all.

I'm going to replace the filter and gasket with quality items but notice that there is a bolt on the bottom of the T/case that is dripping Dextron III. Something in the depths of memory tells me this isn't a fastener you mess with as it locates something internally - is this right? Either way I'm pretty sure this isn't the drain plug so I'm reluctant to tighten it up.

BTW I dont see any evidence of leaks higher up the g/box but will be doing a de-grease and clean up to double check this.

Last edited:
That looks like the detent bolt for the shifter dog. Yes it can be removed/tightened, there is a crush washer there.

Thanks Phoenix - so there'd be no issue if I removed bolt, used a fresh crush washer and tightened up then? :worship:

And don't waste your time removing the pan and screen in the trans. Unless the pan is leaking of course.

The AW4 was designed for drain and fills only with Dex/Merc ATF. NEVER the MOPAR +4 stuff.

Every 30,000 miles under regular use. Every 15,000 miles under heavy duty use like towing, taxi, mail delivery etc.

Be sure to install a new crush washer on the drain plug.

Back