• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CA: Corral Canyon OHV Volunteer Days

karstic

NAXJA Forum User
OHV Volunteer days information

Hello,

Our volunteer work days scheduled for December 9th and 16th at Corral Canyon OHV area are to proceed as planned. To make these work days as effective (and fun) as possible I have put together a list of projects and information for everyone to look over so you can be prepared and have an idea what work each of you wants to participate in.

INFORMATION

Food and Water:
The Cleveland National Forest will provide drinking water. Volunteers should plan on bringing their own food (brown bag etc).

Sunscreen, Bug repellent
Make sure to bring both of these. It is winter but it is better to have them and not need them right?

Work Clothes, sturdy boots, Eye protection and Gloves Safety is our BIGGEST priority. Be prepared to work safely.

INITIAL RE-OPENING PROJECTS

You can decide for yourself what activity(s) you want to participate in. So far we have identified the following:

Marking and fencing the temporary boundary along the burn side of trails 3 and 3A As part of the phased re-opening of Corral Canyon the southwestern edges of trails 3 and 3A will be used as a temporary boundary to keep off-roaders on the open side of the burned area. The burn area is undergoing extensive erosion control and rehab work so the recreating public will need to be kept out of the closed portion of the OHV area to allow work to proceed.
This allows the public to utilize the areas unaffected by the fire related operations and allows crews and equipment to move freely inside the rehab area. Volunteers wishing to help on this project need to have gloves, boots and eye protection at a minimum and are encouraged to bring pliers and any fencing related hand tools they want to use. Moving and staging fence materials along the installation route will also be an activity to help with. The temporary boundary line will be marked and flagged and installation of posts and fence wire will proceed at whatever rate we can manage.

Preparing the Kiosk at Four Corners Staging area for sign panel replacement The weathered sign panels at Four Corners are due for replacement and the old ones will need to be removed. This is an easy but important project.

Cleanup at Bobcat and Corral Canyon Campgrounds Both campgrounds have been sitting idle and need some cleaning up. This is another easy but very important project.

Setting up fencing at the beginning of the Spur Meadow trail to maintain the fifty inch wide maximum vehicle width.
During the fire suppression effort the Spur Meadow trail was bulldozed for use as a contingency line. Until the tread can be fully restored both ends of the trail will receive temporary fence installations that will ensure that the trail can remain a cycle trail by maintaining the fifty inch width restriction.

Evaluating “Adopt a trail” routes for improvements to be done by Trails Unlimited The Espinoza trail was also bulldozed during the Horse fire suppression effort and it is scheduled to have tread replaced by Trails Unlimited this winter. A portion of the trail will remain closed during the initial Corral Canyon re-opening phase because it is within the burn rehab area and will require extensive work. The portion outside that area will be re-opened but will also need significant work to restore it to the recreation resource it is supposed to be. Club members can bring GPS receivers and digital cameras to record locations of trail features they would like to see incorporated into the restoration work. They can create a description of the desired feature as well as a diagram that corresponds to the GPS data and photos. This information will be passed on to Trails Unlimited and providing there are no unforeseen design or erosion control problems we will do our best to incorporate them into the route.Help us create the experience you want.

Removing the “Dead Bronco”
On the 9th we will want to check the current status of the abandoned Ford Bronco that was going to be removed last season but was not due to fire danger. If the vehicle is found to be movable an effort will be made on the following Saturday (12/16/06) to get it out of there.

Checking for damaged and/or missing signs Fire damaged, missing and weathered signs are all scheduled for replacement. Bring a GPS and a digital camera and go on a sign hunt to help us create an accurate list of needed signs.

Other Ideas
Anyone who knows of work that they can do that is not listed above should bring what they need to accomplish the work and be able to explain what it is (and why it is important).

Where and When to meet

We will be meeting at the Four Corners staging area at 9:00 am on both the 9th and 16th.

The main gate will be manned and only volunteers will be allowed through since the area is still under a closure order. No recreational riding is going to be available although there may be opportunities for guided tours of the burn area.

I have some RSVP’s already but I would like to hear from everyone who plans to be there this week so that I can do some more detailed logistics planning. (Clubs can just send a single message with a head count in it). I will need volunteer agreements from everyone who does not have a current one with us. If in doubt fill out another one.

I am sending out an electronic version of our standard volunteer agreement. Please get these filled out and returned to me as soon as possible. You can send them back electronically or bring them with you this Saturday.

(See attached file: individual volunteer agreement corral canyon.rtf)

I am looking forward to seeing all of you at Corral Canyon the next two weekends.

Thanks for stepping up and getting involved.

Richard Tull
OHV Program Manager
Descanso Ranger District
Cleveland National Forest
3348 Alpine Blvd.
Alpine, CA 91901
(619) 445 6235 ext 3451"

Back