• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Truck is running horrible. Need the truck for vacation! Please help.

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
Gonna type this real fast, so bear with me.

Drove my 1990 comanche 4.0, ax-15 to school today, while I was there I put a radiator in and a starter. Starter sounded really bad we figured that the spacer plate between the tranny and motor wasnt right, loosened the bellhousing bolts and moved the spacer plate. Dropped the tranny down about 3 inches to get to top bolts. Starter sounds great. No problems there.

Get in to back the truck out (after idleing 20 mins before I did the starter to get coolant in the system) and its running bad, wont rev over 1000rpm and it backfires like never before.

The truck was running PERFECT before I drove it in. Not a problem at all. Now this, we have checked for loose vacuum lines, check wires cap and rotor. Not the best, but definatly workable. Remember, it ran great coming in.

I did take the steering wheel off trying to see why it was so loose, got as far as the internals and didnt want to go any farther. So that cant be an issue.

We have checked CPS, it looks fine, but i think it is a run/no run with that sensor. Been through the engine comaprtment and under the truck looking for something that could have been frigged up while we were doing this. Nothing looks wrong, and about ever connector has been checked, along with every vaccuum line.

CPS is a run/no run, you're correct on that one.

Check to see if you didn't pull the MAP sensor line off, somehow...

Jeff

Did you remove the main fan when putting in a radiator? Could the belt be loose or installed wrong(water pump running backwards?

Does your have the towing package? - with the transmission fluid cooling integrated into the radiator? Did you top off the trans fluid?

Air in the engine block causing overheating?

Will it run crappy when idling or driving, or both?
Howabout with the transmission in neutral?

Why did you replace the radiator to begin with? Was it overheating?
Could it be something else besides the radiator - like the water pump or thermostat?

Nothing to do with overheating, replaced the radiator because it was leaking, didnt touch any of the belts.

Manual trans

Cant be overheating, Im not even driving it, I dotn even think it would, this is just 15 second run times in the shop.

Did you remove any of the spark plug cables when you worked on the radiator? When I swapped out the motor in my 91, I installed the distributor off by one tooth on the gear, and had the cables off the other way. So ... it ran, but it ran like $hit for a minute before I fixed it.

Back