• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aw4 shift controller

That seems more like it's for trail use, from what I understood it let's you manually shift the trans but could still retain auto use if you still have the tcm. I was thinking about a om617 diesel but still be able to drive normally. I'm playing around in my head about building a purpose built rig for my job as a rural mail carrier. Don't get me wrong my 4.0 xj is awesome, it just kills me in fuel costs and gas is just going up. Also my route is rough as a cob, the unibody is starting show signs of cracking and flex, and parcel volume is getting to be to much. I recently found out that scouts came in rhd, and I bet the bof set up would be stronger. The merc diesel is up to the task in durability and efficiency, I can't think of a more durable while still being efficient 4wd trans than an aw4 but I haven't seen a fully automatic programmable shift controller for it.

If i was delivering stop and go all day id invest in lower gears. Id possibly go as low as 4.88 depending on top speed i needed to go.
I think id also throw in frame stifners throughout depending on actual use. Gravel rds potholes washboard.

Shocks tuned for the job could also pay big.

Your route isnt the same as others so theres no reason the jeep cant be set up for you.

The rads set up might work fine behind any thing thats under the hood i think whatever is currently there will work. Gears could completely change your mind on everything

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Gearing isn't going to help. The #1 problem is amazon. Xj cargo space is too small for current mail levels, most days are 2 trips, I think 3 trips are going to be common during Christmas. I am not paid for having to come back halfway through the route and re load, our union is trash. A long wheelbase scout 2 is the largest cargo capacity vehicle I can think of that comes factory rhd that also comes in 4wd and is rugged enough to take it. And I think they are cool too. The om617 engine gets 30 mpg in a 4k pound mercedes and is considered by many to be the most reliable engine of all time. I can't think of a 4wd transmission that is better for the job than an aw4 but I'm not much of an automatic connoisseur, I would certainly entertain any suggestions, especially ones that wouldn't require dealing with a stand alone controller. I plan on keeping the xj as it is, for my back up vehicle.

I think id get a vehicle appropriate for the job. It may be worth a 50-75k investment if it's what supports your family.
If the terrain and conditions are rough this may be 5-10year reoccurring investment.

If that vehicle is a old scout with a diesel shoe horned in thats your choice to make.

Tell me what are my choices of rhd 4wd besides a brand new wrangler? Which has the same cargo capacity as my xj anyway with worse reliability.

Why not just add some additional storage like a Thule roof carrier.

Ill research later.
e823e649e5c996d7ca397385bb582953.jpg

The om617 was in the mercedes 300sd. The 82 model I had had 336k, all original, and with 5 adults would pull 30 mpg on the highway. They make an adaptor kit to retrofit it into many different vehicles, including xjs. But like I said, xjs and kjs are getting too small. Offices with better routes are getting metris vans, but our office will never see one because of road conditions. I'm not under the delusion that it would pull 30 mpg that on the mail route but I only pull 13.5. So even 20 would be an improvement. Everyone else in this office uses kjs and get little better than I do, with substantially bigger repair bills.

Ive been thinking about the mpg of mail rig. Actual is probly half of marketing lies.

If this is a project for fun just because that completely changes things.

I dont know that a usps contract supports a 50-75k machine

It's really out of necessity, but also just because of the way I am. I can't afford a new rig. I don't want a new rig. Imho nothing built past 05 is worth having. This 95 jeep is the most I've personally paid for a vehicle and that was 2500. I'm cheap and I like to build stuff. I wanted a 4x4 square body crew cab srw, small block 4 speed but I never found one so i converted an auto drw 2wd into what I wanted, it was fun, and I made a good amount when I sold it. As part of our contract we are supposed to have a back up vehicle and the post master has been on me about it. Originally I planned on another xj so I could switch parts back and forth as needed, may still go that direction but rhd xjs are rarer than hens teeth around here. I had to drive 2 hours for this one. Most other rhd vehicles are japanese imports that are smaller than the xj like rav 4s. One poor carrier that has one nearby has to do 3 trips almost daily. I bought a dj5 a while back but it was tiny, 4wd conversion was going to be hard, and it was in way worse shape than I originally thought.

If your main problem is storage space and mileage with the XJ and you’re thinking about the diesel swap, why not diesel swap the XJ you have and build an off-road trailer that’s lockable. The diesel will give you mileage and torque to tow and the trailer would give you the space so you wouldn’t have to make 2-3 trips per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure that a trailer would be allowed, but at any rate there are many areas where I have to serve a box, then turn back around in a small area and go back the way I came.

I remember back when I started a few years ago, before covid made people go crazy and just start ordering everything, there were days that I could of carried all the mail on the route in my motorcycle saddle bags! Things can change so damn fast. I'm going to apologize in advance to everyone who is ordering things from this point to the end of the year because it's about to get bad. The po was already short handed before the great resignation and carriers are leaving every day for better paying, less stressful jobs. We have been mandated that we can't work past 8 pm now; that means that more and more is going to be un-delivered.

. . I can't afford a new rig. I don't want a new rig. Imho nothing built past 05 is worth having. . .

With you all the way there - 'though not sure '05's not too late (there are times when I think my XJ's are too modern.

. . . I wanted a 4x4 square body crew cab srw, small block 4 speed . . .

That got me thinking: how about a Blazer? Though I suppose RHD'd be a problem - & the mpg!

. . . Most other rhd vehicles are japanese imports that are smaller than the xj like rav 4s. . .

What, no Patrols or Amazons? I know Bongos' prices are as stupid as their name but how about a Delica?

How about solving the issue of space and mileage with a 1987 Land Rover Defender 110 4-door RHD with the 2.5 diesel. They are almost unstoppable and from what i understand quite capable vehicles. That's my 3 cents worth, but IF you could find one I doubt it would be much over 25k in good working order.

Do what you can. Pencil out what you get payed decide what your worth an hour then work that many hours each day based on your monthly salary.

It is what it is what it is. There are to many fedex drivers and contractors giving hours away. Usps and fedex are going to have to step it up and tool the **** up. So make them do it.

Everyone is going to have to be patient as this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

For years we haven't been responsible or accountable for our actions or decisions now were watching ourselves drowned in a 5gal bucket of our own shit

So I heard ups and fed ex are going to merge to form a new company their going to call it Fed Up. Lol

Back