• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TORXreport: Northwest Fest 2012

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
TORXreport - Northwest Fest 2012 - Naches, WA
June 20 - 24

Wednesday morning I met up with Nick (redjeep2.0), and Scott (NW-ZJ-SCOTT) to convoy up to Naches. First we had to stop for the Twilight Tour in Kalama.
P1070801.jpg

Scott re-rigging the tie downs.
P1070802.jpg

Weather was great on the drive up. It was a bit humid outside, and I didn't like the wind noise so on with the AC blaster.
P1070807.jpg

Life was great in the Nail Salon.
P1070809.jpg

Nick was frustrated with Scott's towing speed, so he passed.
P1070810.jpg

I5, and Hwy 12 went by quick, and soon we were heading up Chinook Pass.
P1070811.jpg

Not long after that we were stopped to cool off a tired CTD.
P1070812.jpg

After reaching the summit of Chinook, it was all down hill to camp. Aside from a small camp of motorcyclist we had Long Meadow to our selves. Nick had some loose ends to tie up on the Jeep. Cut off wheel on the battery, nothing special.
IMG_0001.jpg

Eventually we got bored and decided to get a quick shake down / pre run out of the way. Goal was to head up Kaner Flats 676 up to Aardvark Hill. Not long after starting, the ZJ had a loose wire on the alternator. Easy fix.
IMG_0003.jpg

It was 80 degrees out, and the Naches dust was atrocious.
IMG_0006.jpg

It was great to be back at Naches.
IMG_0008.jpg

Nick getting in some trail side wrenching.
IMG_0011.jpg

Continuing on, Scott cresting the first big hill climb.
IMG_0012.jpg

Coming up through the trees below Aardvark.
IMG_0018.jpg

Aardvark Hill looked to be a bit more dug out at the tree root. I was a little intimidated going up first in the new rig, but traction wasn't an issue, and the line hasn't really changed.
IMG_0021.jpg

Nick heading up. You can see him lifting a tire, and then let off.

After a few tries he got it.

Scott's turn.
IMG_0027.jpg

Scott_style.
IMG_0028.jpg

Twilight was upon us.
IMG_0033.jpg

After working out some issues on the rigs, and conquering Aardvark we called it and headed back to camp.
IMG_0036.jpg

I cruised down to Whistlin' Jack's to top off for Thursday's trail run, and was greeted with $4.42 a gallon price for gas. Ouch. When I got back to camp Darren (goblazers_6), Eric (dellstopjeep), and Alyssa (dellstopjeep's wife) had arrived.

Thursday morning rolled around rather quick, but I was up at 0700 to prepare for a early 0900 departure. Looking out my tent window I noticed the Bronzewyrm Family Sleeper had arrived over night.

In traditional NWC style it was time to start repairs at 0900. Scott may be giving the thumbs up, but he definitely wasn't feeling it.
IMG_0042.jpg

The unsung hero helping Scott adjust his linkage.
IMG_0041.jpg

The Great Models ready to hit the trails.
IMG_0043.jpg

Eventually it was time to roll out.
IMG_0044.jpg

Started out running Kaner Flats again. Eric entertaining himself on the easy sections.
IMG_0045.jpg

Eww.
IMG_0046.jpg

Darren just below Aardvark Hill.
IMG_0052.jpg

Scotty.
IMG_0054.jpg

Eric heading up Aardvark.
IMG_0057.jpg

Scott trying the opposite of the previous nights run.
IMG_0060.jpg

Continued on up Kaner. Got to the decommissioned bridge. Hole wasn't too deep, and we were able to crawl out of it.
IMG_0064.jpg

Eventually you break out on the ridge line. This is probably my favorite section of trail in the Northwest.
IMG_0070.jpg

Alyssa now behind the wheel.
IMG_0073.jpg

Weather was perfect, scenery was amazing, and best of all we had a fast pace going.
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

Darren clipping a tree.
IMG_0084.jpg

On top of Manastash Ridge.
IMG_0086.jpg

Preventive maintenance.
IMG_0089.jpg

While taking a break on the ridge, Darren broke the news that he was at less than an 1/8 of a tank. Apparently the President forgot to fill up after driving up the night before. This is a picture of Darren wishing he wasn't "that guy".
IMG_0090.jpg

Since we weren't anywhere near a road we had to figure out a solution to the gas problem. We all put our heads together and developed a way to transfer fuel from our XJ's to the LJ.
IMG_0091.jpg

Pull the schrader valve on the fuel raid, connect a short piece of fuel line, and crank the motor over. If your battery isn't up to par, you can also turn the key off and on cycling the pump.

After eight or so 20oz Dew bottles, we continued on. One of the more difficult sections on the ridge. Combine big rocks, with slick mud, and it was a challenge. Darren played it safe and tested out the Gold Cobra's Superwinch.
IMG_0093.jpg

Nick found himself pinned on both axles preventing him going forward or back.
IMG_0095.jpg

Scotty.
IMG_0101.jpg

After making it up the trail we continued on.
IMG_0104.jpg

We made it a little more ways up the ridge before we hit big snow drifts through the trees. It was clear that another group had already been through, but it was also clear they weren't in your average Jeep. So after sending Nick up to feel it out, we took a group decision and decided to turn around.

This meant going back down the rocks we just came up.
IMG_0106.jpg

Eric back at the wheel.
IMG_0110.jpg

Back up the rocks we came down.
IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

Not long after heading back down we were back at the Lilly Pond junction. At this time we made another group decision to part ways. Darren was on limited gas, and Eric was eager to greet new arrivals at camp. I gave them some directions back, while Nick, Scott, Alyssa (my new codriver), and I continued on down Lilly Pond to the rocks.

We made good time down Lilly Pond, so good I didn't get any pictures. On the last section of trail I somehow managed tag a massive rock with my front axle. I hit hard enough it nearly stopped the Jeep, and rung the axle like a church bell. I checked for damage to the steering, but it looked like the diff cover took the hit. More on this later.

From Lilly Pond we cruised up the 1708, and up Lower Woodpecker. At this time I was tired of driving, so Alyssa took over driving duties of the Nail Salon. We headed up Five Fingers, and across the ridge. Gorgeous views from the top.
IMG_0118.jpg

We made our way across the ridge, got passed KOH style by Nick and Scott, and eventually got to the rocks.
IMG_0119.jpg

Nick on "The Ledge". I guess he had something to prove.
IMG_0122.jpg

We played around on the rocks for a bit, and continued on. We found quite a few downed trees on the way out. Which ever group ran this last decided to just go around them off the trail, rather than cut them. Nick and I took turns clearing the trail.
IMG_0125.jpg

We had 12 miles of gravel before the highway. Nick was craving some clean air with the half doors on, so he tried to pass us a few times. Turns out Alyssa has a rather defensive driving style that decided to come out mid pass at 40mph. TORX saw his life and his Jeep's life flash before his eyes.

Bit of highway action to get back to camp.
IMG_0127.jpg

After getting back to camp we found Darren and Eric had made it to Whistlin' Jack's and back alright. Later that evening Han's (XJourney) arrived after a four day solo trip on part of the Washington Back Country Discovery Route.

Thursday night was a good time. Costco and baby wipes come to mind. Around 0200 our Canadian brother Andy (Knewdra) rolled in with Curtis (cebo217). Andy found Curtis wandering the roads trying to find camp, and brought him in.

Friday morning I woke up on the ground of my tent, and it raining outside. I believe Nick (Orange Jeep), Patrick, and Charlie arrived early morning. After a very slow start to the morning we were rolling out of camp at noon. Just before we left Marc, Mike (Big Mike), and families rolled in.
IMG_0128.jpg

Goal for the day was run up to Little Bald Mountain, and continue on the ridge along Mud Springs 696 trail.
IMG_0131.jpg

Usually Little Bald Mountain has to offer one of the best views in the area, but that wasn't the case today.
IMG_0133.jpg

Most of the ridge was socked in with fog, and the rain was pretty consistent all day.
IMG_0135.jpg

We hit snow on the 1600rd on our way to Mud Springs. A few of us made some pressure changes.
IMG_0139.jpg

One of the fun things about spring snow wheeling is busting through the melted areas that run beneath the drifts. A few of them got pretty deep.
IMG_0143.jpg

Hans pulling cable on one of the more snowed in sections.
P1070827.jpg

Moving along.
IMG_0145.jpg

Jeep Grill. Warm Ham & Cheese hit the spot.
P1070828.jpg

Last edited:
After an hour or two of traversing drifts we got to the Mud Springs trail head. We walked in a ways hoping to find a semi clear trail, but it was apparent if we were to continue it would be nothing but winching, shoveling, and dragging your rain gutters off the trees. With our late start to the day, we decided to turn back.
IMG_0146.jpg

Group shot on the ridge.
IMG_0152.jpg

The rain didn't really let up until later in the evening. We got back to camp to find Branden (98CherokeeSport) and Joe (josef97xj) had arrived. While some erected Tarp City at camp, Eric and I decided to just drive around because it was more comfortable to be inside the Jeep than outside.

Fortunately the rain did let up, and we all were able to enjoy the camp fire(s) Friday evening. Ben (BPB) and Whitney arrived later in the evening. Some things that come to mind are a bottle of Vietnamese Booze with a Cobra and Scorpion in it, a Hyundai, and a camp fire hot enough to burn entire logs.

Saturday morning rolled around. I woke up with a Hello Kitty band aid on my arm, but at least I wasn't Scott. Plus there was sun shining through my tent.

Branden took off with a capable group around 0930. The rest of us set a goal to be rolling by 10, but in NWC style we were actually rolling out at 11.
P1070829.jpg

Plan was to head up the 1901 to Lilly Pond, and then continue to the rocks. After an entire day of rain, we quickly realized the conditions of the trails changed drastically. We were in for a surprise.
IMG_0157.jpg

Hans at the decommissioned bridge, losing a tail light, and having to winch out.
IMG_0160.jpg

John (Bronzewyrm) getting to enjoy the benefits of a little more ground clearance, and four tire fire.
IMG_0164.jpg

Eric was playing the roll of passenger for the day. It was tough for him.
IMG_0169.jpg

Ben was very excited to be out on the trail.
IMG_0170.jpg

While the group worked on getting by the bridge, and then up the next hill, the clouds moved in, and it starting dumping on us again. I have to admit at the pace we were going, I began to get the feeling of a long day ahead.

The hill just after the bridge was looking like it was going to be a winch hill for most. It was just muddy enough to glaze over the rocks to make traction near impossible.
P1070830.jpg

Ben got through the bridge hole like a boss on 31's open/open.
P1070834.jpg

Alyssa taking her turn under a good rain.
IMG_0171.jpg

After Scott put all 8 cylinders to work on the hill, the rest of us were able to make it up unassisted. It was still a WOT assault though. We made another group decision at the Lilly Pond junction, and decided to press on even with the conditions. The reasoning being Lilly Pond was mostly down hill, and it was still early in the afternoon.

Andy felt he needed more horsepower so he took off his exhaust.
P1070843.jpg

The first part of Lilly Pond was almost to the point of a Jeep Luge.
IMG_0173.jpg

We continued down Lilly Pond making sure to spread out on the hills. We came the first bridge crossing to find John scratching his head. We decided to just have me winch him straight back.
IMG_0176.jpg

Alyssa crossing one of the bridges.
IMG_0178.jpg

From then on we made good time out the last bit of trail to the 1708. I took the lead, and decided to try Lower Woodpecker. There were no tracks up it, so I didn't know what to expect after the rain. To say the least it was a muddy throttle filled assault. About a 1/4 way I advised the group to take the bypass down the washout.

Han's coming up after me.

Once we were at the top, the rest of the group made their way down the wash out.
IMG_0189.jpg

It was slick, but pretty straight forward.
IMG_0192.jpg

Andy's rig was sounding pretty burly with the exhaust delete mod done.

Trail Crack +1 pt.
IMG_0194.jpg

Making our way up toward Five Fingers.
IMG_0195.jpg

Group on top of the ridge.
IMG_0196.jpg

Gold Cobra now had some trail cred.
IMG_0198.jpg

We made it up to the Funny Rocks late afternoon. Curtis trying the ledge, but the slick conditions denied him.
IMG_0202.jpg

Then he tried the Snag Line.
IMG_0205.jpg

Then he tried the Crack.
IMG_0206.jpg

Drivers wheel took a hit.
IMG_0207.jpg

Then he tried the next line.
IMG_0208.jpg

After playing around on the Funny Rocks, the BOD and a few others headed back, while the rest of the group joined Branden's group at Moon Rocks. Andy's friend, Mike, brought out his DR350 to ride on the trails. What he didn't count on was the slick conditions. Mike rode all day like a champ, but switched off with Andy on the way back.
P1070847.jpg

Much to our surprise the sun came out on the way back. We crossed our fingers it would hold up at least through the Saturday night festivities.
P1070850.jpg

We got back to camp around 6:30. Ryan (Nightofam), and his brother Keegan had arrived for the night. We quickly began setting up for the dinner and raffle. Once everything was done, the two groups started returning to camp, and settling in.
IMG_0209.jpg

Lining up to buy some tickets, and grab some tasty burritos.
IMG_0215.jpg

Cha Ching.
IMG_0216.jpg

We had some awesome prizes to give away. To name a few a complete Clayton 3-Link, BDS 4-Link, ASR Recovery Ropes, Lightforce Lights, Raceline Beadlock Gift Certificate, and some sweet Flowmaster license plate frames. Nice photo bomb Ryan.
IMG_0219.jpg

Ryan scored an ODF trail sign to add to a sign collection he passed on one of his overland adventures.
IMG_0222.jpg

Presidential Address.
IMG_0226.jpg

After the Saturday night festivities were over we all enjoyed the camp fire. Some things that come to mind are everything being really dark all night, push ups, a five gallon bucket sized spot light, and this song...

When it started getting light out, we called it a night. Saturday morning everyone seemed to have one thing on their mind, leaving. I guess we can only tolerate each other so long. :D

Everyone slowly started heading out throughout the morning. Heading up Chinook. It was about this time I made the comment "My front axle is growling at me, I think it did some bath salts."
IMG_0227.jpg

A few of us stopped for some lunch in Packwood, and then continued on. The drive home went good. Once on I5 I kicked on the cruise at 68mph. In Vancouver I started noticing some binding coming from the front end while turning. It progressively got worse, and if I wasn't a few miles from home I would have pulled over.

After getting home I hopped out to see if I might have spit a u-joint cap. Didn't see anything so I put a jack under the axle to check the locker, and that's when I noticed my axle housing was cracked and the passenger tube was semi float in the housing. I'm 95% sure this happened when I hit the rock Thursday on Lilly Pond. Whoops.
IMG_0232.jpg

So all in all Northwest Fest was once again a total blast. This year we had a little smaller turnout which seemed to work out fine, and the weather through us a curve ball a few of the days. HUGE thanks to everybody who made it out this year! It was great to see some new faces at the event this year, and catch up with the old ones.

Man, it looks like you guys had a blast!!! I am soooo bummed that I missed out, BUT I pick up my Jeep tomorrow!!! It probably had to be realigned after NoobFest anyway!!! lol Glad you guys had fun.

What my you mean by this?

After the Saturday night festivities were over we all enjoyed the camp fire. Some things that come to mind are everything being really dark all night, push ups, a five gallon bucket sized spot light, and this song...

I don't understand?

What my you mean by this?

I don't understand?

should have been there dave. it was a good time as usual.

Sad I missed it,
Hopefully things will work out for me next year.
Great Pix Dustin, and decent job on the write up too!

Back