• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle leaking oil out passenger side axle tube

redneck

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here is my problem. I needed to replace my passenger side u-joint on the front so I pulled it all apart and put a new u-joint in. I slid the axle shaft back into the axle tube and put it all together then took it for a test ride. When I made it back into the driveway all I could smell was gear oil (not a very pleasant smell). It’s coming out of the axle tube. Is there a seal that I missed? I took it all apart again and put it back but still had the same problem when I got back from a short drive around the block. The only thing on the outside that seems to keep oil in and crap out of the axle is a piece of plastic that separates into two pieces. I don’t get it. I need to go out of town tomorrow but I cant when I have gear oil spewing all over. This was my first time ever pulling an axle apart so I dont know whats normal but this seems like a problem.

Thanks for any and all help,
Aaron

there is a seal back in the housing at the pumpkin that can be damaged if you're not careful when removing/installing the axle. sounds like it got banged up or torn.

Ten High said:
there is a seal back in the housing at the pumpkin that can be damaged if you're not careful when removing/installing the axle. sounds like it got banged up or torn.
x2

beat me to it, you have to be gentle when putting those back it...

Back