• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case drop, Linkage question.

boostedvdub80239

NAXJA Forum User
The 1990 cherokee I just bought is lifted 5 inches and has a transfer case drop, however the mount, on the body, that the transfer case shift linkage connects to was not lowered with the t-case. It rod has snaked its way out of the point of attachment to the t-case. Any ideas? Possibly where can i buy a drop kit for the linkage mount.:helpme:

Skyjacker sells a correction kit. Google it or call a skyjacker dealer and ask about one.

Make one out of some 3"x3/16" aluminum flat bar. You will only need to drill 5 holes, and make one cut. 2 holes to mount to the original mount and 3 where the linkage meets the bracket

Why dont you just adjust the linkage. There is a 13MM bolt on the linkage sahft. Put your TC in 4HI, then loosen the nut, lift it up to where the lever stops on the plate under the plastic trim. You may have to have someone hold the lever as you move the linkage then tighten it back down.

There is no need to re-drill and fab parts that are not needed.

adjusting the linkage is easier with two people. It's pretty simple stuff, just adjust so the interior lever is fulling pulling and pushing the TC lside lever into the proper positions.

The bolt that clamps onto the linkage rod needs to be tight! And the linkage rod needs to be clean and oil-free so the clamp can bite.

With the TC lowering kit, I believe the linkage clamp goes on the VERY END of the rod with not much room to spare.

The problem he is probably having is that the link is in such an angle that it is binding or even falling out. I had to drop my linkage to correct it.

The best way that I found to fix mine was a SYE!

You can also get the universal shifter kit from Novak Adapters.

novak3.jpg

The entire thing mounts directly to the transfer case, rather than trying to bridge between the body and the case. Much more positive shift feel, never pops out.

You do have to be a little creative with the opening & the shifter boot; I used another boot from a 5-speed shifter and cut it to fit the opening.

boostedvdub80239 said:
The 1990 cherokee I just bought is lifted 5 inches and has a transfer case drop, however the mount, on the body, that the transfer case shift linkage connects to was not lowered with the t-case. It rod has snaked its way out of the point of attachment to the t-case. Any ideas? Possibly where can i buy a drop kit for the linkage mount.:helpme:

Shoulda' came with a drop bracket. My Skycrapper did. Don't know if u can get it seperately. Kept the rod straight, but then the hooked end of the rod got caught on the front most bolt. Hence the crapper moniker, among other things.

Back