• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's 4.5" Lift Leafs

AZRockRunner

Nobody
Hello all, well the modification process has started.
I removed the rear axle and shocks and yada yada yada yesterday and attempted to install the new reaf leaf springs I got with my Rusty's 4.5" kit.
The leaf springs are almost 2 inches short to fit into the bolt holes on the jeep. I tried to bolt the rear up and use a jack and a crow bar to stretch the springs to fit and still could not get them in.
I cant call Rusty's until Monday so I am wondering if anyone has had this issue and how they solved it.

Thanks

I had a similar problem when putting in my 4.5" leafs, too. In my case, the shackles weren't far enough forward and it seemed like they were spring loaded and forced tight against the rear of the shackle mount. I just used a pry bar and something to wedge it forward so that I could slide the bolt through the front. Hope that helps...

if you have stock shackles it can be a pain and will take some massaging to get bolted up.

it sounds like the bolts on your shackles may be too tight... I would loosen them up... they say when putting new leaves on that you should leave all the bolts a little looser than you would normally want them and then put the rear end back down on the ground before tightening them to spec.

No, the problem is that the leafs are brand new, and tighter then shit. So when he finally gets them bolted up to his stock shackle, it's gonna be pointed in the complete wrong direction. I didn't have much of a problem with this on my Rubicon springs. But my buddy's has 6.5" Rusty's springs on the stock shackle, and that sucker rests right on the front of the box.

If I remember correctly I bolted the shackle end first then put a bottle jack between the frame and the unbolted end of the spring. I put a floor jack under the axle and put pressure on both jacks. This allowed the spring to lengthen enough to get the bolts in. When you put the vehicle weight down it will settle into place.

It looks funny till you get the vehicle weight on them then the shackles look correct.

That might work for me also. It looks like it is almost 2" shorter than needed. I just hope it does not ride super stiff after done. I will give it a shot in a few days when I head back out to work on my jeep again.
Thanks for all the replies.

I have the 6.5" leafs and i had to actually use a ratchet strap with one hook on the "frame rail" and the other hook on the shackle to pull it forward and eventually get the bolt through. They ride like some kinda military vehicle until i load up all my friends in it.. then with about 400+ pounds in there it rides like a dream.. a dream which ends when they all get out and youre back to the tanklike ride.. So i tried to counter this with a speaker box and 2 12'' kickers.. around 100+ lbs.. that made a small difference but i had to ratchet strap the box down to keep it from flyin around back there.. but try filling your gas tank up and maybe puttin a hoard of tools in there.. it will definitely soften the ride.

I got them in. It was actually pretty easy. My friend had a hydrolic spreader tool. I put that in between the leaf and the body, then jacked up the leaf with a jack and it spread it right into place. I bought a small 2 ton piston jack that would have worked also but I will take that back and call it a day.

Thanks all

Well, I didnt think that pic's of leafs hanging there would be all that interesting. LOL
I am still in the process of grinding off the leaf spring mounts and shock mounts off the Ford 8.8 axle that will live under there. I will be installing the front lift hopefully next week and bolting in another D30 that is already locked and geared to match, so I can take pics then.

Back