• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Most Important

Rocketman

NAXJA Forum User
OK... $$$$ as with anyone is tight. I have enough BLING on my Jeep (too much actually) and need to add something more critical since it iis my DD and carries my two little ones around. Considering most wheeling is on the Midwest trails, which is MORE important, under body skids, (engine, TC) OR Rock rails? Which would get more abuse? I'd think and Engine/tranny armor? BOTH will wind up on the XJ eventually BUT, FIRST??? LCA skids perhaps to the list?

Arguments, opinions, recommendations... all are welcome.

Thanks,

Based on your type of wheeling, If it's a question or either/or, I'd vote for T-Case skid first. Doesn't take much to punch a hole in the aluminum Case. Rock rails are the other part on the either/or list. If you can swing it, get these also, or at least the very next thing. Gas tank skid after that. Skip the LCA skids and put the rock rails higher on the list.

My $.02

Skid Row makes some nice LCA skids, and I plan to get them unless a local guy I'm talking with can make some. ($120 or so for the skid row ones$)

I'm not going wheeling (for real) until I have t-case, gas tank and engine skids installed. And wont' do any really rocky trails until I have rails. So until then, I drive a big ol mall crawler that's nekkid underneath. Oh well.

Several companies offer bolt on LCA skids. Skid row would be an example. http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetail.asp?model=tj&productsku=3305 Easiest way is to cut and tack 1/4" plate over the LCA brackets. I found on my D-30 that the LCA brackets bent well before the LCA took any damage other than scapes.
Got the plate cut but still havent put it on the D-44.

Rocket,

Since we wheel in the same places I'll tell you my experience.

Green and white trails at the badlands will give your rockers a serious workout. I have rock rails, and haven't installed the t-case skid yet.

At winterfest, my rock rails were priceless, however my t-case was fine.

If you can't get both now, I would get the rock rails first and then the t-case as soon as you can.

YMMV.

At winterfest, my rock rails were priceless, however my t-case was fine. If you can't get both now, I would get the rock rails first and then the t-case as soon as you can. YMMV

a differing thought........you Jeep can function with a dent in your rockers....it can't with cracked open Tcase. if you happen to find that right rock(or it finds you) your mileage will definitely vary :laugh3:

that said you should get them both ASAP

loop said:
At winterfest, my rock rails were priceless, however my t-case was fine. If you can't get both now, I would get the rock rails first and then the t-case as soon as you can. YMMV

a differing thought........you Jeep can function with a dent in your rockers....it can't with cracked open Tcase. if you happen to find that right rock(or it finds you) your mileage will definitely vary :laugh3:

that said you should get them both ASAP

This also has a lot of merit.

loop said:

i personaly am a function over form person - so rock rail's are way down the line...

my T-case, gas tank, and engine/tranny were all covered before my jeep even saw a dirt road (the ONE thing that i have done right the first time)

I think they are all important.

The fuel tank skid (especially teamed with a factory or eq. 2" receiver) makes a pretty solid defense against rear-end collision.

A quality set of rock rails (box or round) will both protect the structure from abuse, but also offers some defense in a broadside collision.

A solid crossmember & t-case (and engine/tranny skid) are normally 'on duty' off-road only...same goes for the LCA skids.

I have OEM tank skids and Rusty's t-case skids on both my XJs, and wish I had installed JKS Super-Nerfs and LCA skids for the stock one before I started wheeling it. After 4 trips afield, my rockers and one LCA bracket are bad hammered.

I don't have any rock rails. But my rockers are mostly rusted out anyway. I put a cereal bowl sized dent in my gas tank, first time wheeling. Thats why I have a tank skid, and a t-case skid but still no rails.

I agree with Rev. TCase then Rock Rails. Same time if possible.

...BOB

Back