• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weld or clamp?

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the exause in my 99 xj. it has a 5.5" lift with 33's. i have ordered the stuff and just want to know if i should weld or clamp. I am replacing..
The down tube with one from the part store without that factory dent
the cat is a magnaflow high flow cat oem fit
the muff is a delta series 40
ant the tail pipe is one that is slightly rusty in spots but still seems ok it was from my dynomax cat back and has a stainless tip.
If i do weld i am wondering what will happen if i ever have to replace a part? I was thinking weld the whole thing except for the tail pipe. sound good? or should i just clamp the whole thing and save the $100 i would need to pay a shop. Would jb weld work?

if you have a welder then weld it...

get a good quality pair of exhaust flanges and put them in the middle in case you need to take the exhaust apart but want to leave the front still connected

x2 on weld. I originally set up my exhaust using clamps on the cat. Having replaced them three times, I'm welding it this week. Clamps keep loosening, corroding, etc. I can pull my exhaust in half due to crap clamps. Weld it and forget it. I'd rather take the extra time with a plasma cutter or dremel to cut it if it should ever need to be removed. But even then, you should just have to disconnect it from the manifold/header and yank it.

Last edited:
I can't even believe you said "Will JB Weld work?" !!

I weld my systems. If I hit the muffler on a rock, it doesn't pop off and and wrap around the axle.

But then, I'm not paying anyone to do what I can do at home. If you figure on having someone else weld it got you for $100, I would put that money into a welder.

I should have added I was thinking jb weld in addition to the clamps but I take it that won't work. Ok so I will have it all welded except the tail pipe. I need a welder so bad but room is the problem. I also need a place to weld. Any BETTER way to clamp the tailpipe? Like said that will be killed by the cancer first. Teflon tape maybe?

I have noticed that if you double up the clamps there are almost no leaks. Maybe some muffler "fix it" junk from autozone might seal it but anything else like teflon and jb will most likely melt off or fail. My vote is weld it and call it good.

Is also recommended to use a flex pipe between downpipe and cat.

Back