• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swamp Lake

scrappydak2

NAXJA Forum User
I have been talking to Matt Andrew about this trip but I wanted to see what was up on the board. What is going on? What days is everyone going, etc. How many are expected? Who leads? And all that fun stuff. I am going, as long as my CAs are on! :D

I'll be going up some time Thursday after work, who knows what time we'll be up there, hopefully by 6:00. Unfortunatley the XJ wont be going, just spent some bucks for rewelding a busted control arm mount, so the lift will not be happening quite yet. Ill be along for a good time though with my friend in his CJ7. As for all the other stuff I dont know, Im just along for a good old time, and am not in charge of anything else as of this time.

Swamp Lake run

The Swamp Lake run will be July 19-21. We'll camp at Dinkey Creek Thursday night at the same place we've used the last four years, I'll post directions soon. There is no camping fee in this spot but it's still close to restrooms, store, ice and showers. We'll leave from the ranger station at Dinkey Creek by 8:30 am Friday, in case anyone is coming up Friday morning. Friday night we'll camp on the trail at Grouse Lake, a pretty lake at 9200' elevation. We'll come back to the same camp spot on Saturday night, then run the Bald Mtn trail on Sunday, which is about 10 minutes from camp and is a half day trail.

I don't know how many will be going. There will be folks from both northern and southern CA on this trip, and we could have more than 20 rigs. This will be a good time to meet new XJ'ers, and do some fun wheeling and camping. I'll be happy to answer any questions on this forum, on the SoCalXJ list, or you can e-mail me directly.

Richard G
[email protected]

Swamp Lake Trail XJ run July 19-21.....details and direction

Here's a full run down on the trip:

Well, the date is getting closer for this years XJ run on the Swamp Lake Trail. The trip will be on Friday to Sunday, July 19-21. The Swamp Lake Trail is in the Sierra's about an hour east of Fresno, near Shaver Lake, and close to the famous Dusy Trail, in fact, Swamp is kind of like a mini-Dusy. The scenery on the trail is spectacular, and we'll camp at a beautiful lake at 9200' elevation. Here's a link to a pic of the lake: http://xjzone.designermeat.com/Trails/swamp_lake/sl_r.jpg The Swamp Lake Trail is a moderate rock crawling trail about 14 miles long, tops out at 9900', and we camp about halfway through the trail. Minimum equipment for this run should be 31's, a locker or good limited slip, and rock rails.

This year, we're going to camp Thursday night at Dinkey Creek, like always, and start the trail Friday morning. We'll camp at Grouse Lake on Friday night, take it easy, and head out mid-day on Saturday to finish the trail and come back to our camping spot at Dinkey Creek for that night. Sunday we'll run the Bald Mtn Trail like we did two years ago. This is a fun trail that takes us to the top of Bald Mtn, which is a huge granite dome with an abandoned fire lookout at the top and some great views. Here's a link to a pic of us at the top: http://xjzone.designermeat.com/Trails/swamp_lake/sl_ff.jpg The trail is a half day run and the trailhead is only ten minutes from camp, so everyone can easily head for home by mid Sunday afternoon.

We've always had a great time on this run, the wheeling is fun, the scenery is very good, and we can swim and fish in the lake where we camp on Friday night. Here's a link to a write up of our trip from two years ago with some good pics: http://xjzone.designermeat.com/Trails/swamp_lake/swamplake.html This year we will have both folks from the NAXJA Sierra chapter and the SoCal XJ list, plus whoever else would like to go. With rigs coming from both northern and southern CA, it should be a great opportunity meet and wheel with other XJ'ers.

Here are directions to where we'll camp Thursday night. From the north, go south on Hwy 99 and just as you come to Fresno take the Herndon exit, going east. Keep on Herndon all the way across town, then turn left onto Hwy 168 heading to Shaver Lake. From the south, take Hwy 99 to Kingsburg and exit on Mendocino Ave, going north. Continue north through Kingsburg and Sanger until the road dead ends at Hwy 168, then make a right towards Shaver Lake. Stay on Hwy 168, through Prather, then up a very long and steep grade until you come into the town of Shaver Lake. Make a right turn on Dinkey Creek Rd, with signs to Dinkey Creek and Wishon and Courtright Lakes. Stay on Dinkey Creek Rd until you get near the Dinkey Creek Campground, then look closely for a right turn with signs to Wishon and Courtright. This right turn can be easy to miss, especially in the dark, so if you come to the Dinkey ranger station or Dinkey Creek store, or end up in the Dinkey Creek Campground, turn around because you just missed the turn. Immediately after making the right turn, you'll cross the Dinkey Creek bridge, then continue about a 1/4 mile to an intersection with a sign that says Camp Fresno. This is a three way intersection, and there are two roads that go to the left, the first road goes to Camp Fresno and the second road is marked 10S36. Turn left on 10S36 and immediately turn right into the trees, where we'll be camping. The campsite is a large area in the tress at the far side of the intersection of the hwy and road 10S36.

There are outhouses close by at the fisherman's picnic area next to Dinkey Creek, at the ranger station, and at the store. There are also showers at the store, plus food, ice and even gas. I always gas up at the station in Prather, but there is also a Texaco at the top of the steep climb, but it doesn't stay open very late. There is gas in Shaver Lake, but again, I don't know how late they stay open. I wouldn't count on the gas at Dinkey, it's very expensive but would work in an emergency. We will head to the Dinkey Creek store on Friday morning to top off any ice chests that need it, then group together at the ranger station. We'll leave for the trail from the ranger station at 8:30 am.

Post any questions you might have, e-mail me directly, or call me at 661-706-1600. Hope to see you there.

Who's planning to make the trip?

Richard G
[email protected]

i am going to be there. how long does it take to get down there

Don't forget about us Nevadan's, We're coming too, should be there sometime Friday night. I need really good directions, cause I get lost easily.

you know friday night is ganna be difficult. That will make things fun though. This is one of the easiest trails to find. Well, depending if your going up it or down it. I only know the down way, so you don't need that. Yall can count me in, and I would like to bring a friend, but he has a CJ7, I wasnt sure if that is ok, is it? Or we doing just the Cherokee thing-a-ma-dan-ger? :D

This is an XJ run, but friends are welcome no matter what they drive.

We'll have to figure out what to do about coming up on Friday night, we'll be camped out on the trail at Grouse Lake. We're starting Friday morning, so if you can get Friday off that's the best thing. Swamp can be run in a day, but it's a long day, and you'd have to start real early on Saturday morning to catch us before we leave Grouse Lake. I figure we'll leave camp on Saturday around noon to 1:00. You could come in the other way and just meet us on the trail on Saturday, then turn around and finish the trail with us, but the trail is harder to find from the other direction. We'll run the trail from north to south if anyone is looking on a map.

Richard G

Do I need 37's for this trip, or will the 35's suffice?

CRASH

Hey, Farmer-

Just remember that I'm keeping ya in business. And don't forget the box o Chillable Red. :mrgreen:

[quote:9889c8e9f8="FarmerMatt"]

Jes, You still want that tie rod & drag link off my old front end?

Matt[/quote:9889c8e9f8]

Sure, I'll take that whole D30 off your hands too if you still want to get rid of it. I could stop by the Andrew homestead on my way back to the city.

Jes

I'll be there

I'll be there Thursday but probably late. I can't get away from the bay area til after 4:30 or 5:00. I don't know any of ya yet but I'm lookin forward to meetin some fellow XJ'ers. :D

31's will get it. Heck, I ran the 'Con for three years with 31's and one Detroit!!!!!!

Course, it's changed a bit since then ;)

CRASH

Rob, glad you'll be joining us. This will be the 5th annual Swamp Lake XJ run and we always have a great time. People usually are pulling into camp well into the night on Thursday, so we'll see you when you get there. We'll have the fire going and will wait up for anyone who we know is coming.

Richard G

Back