• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Securing replacement (aftermarket) radiator...

Steve-o94XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Greetings all.

Frequent lurker, infrequent poster. :)

I just finished swapping out my stock radiator (112K on the odo) for a CSF 3-row.

While replacing it, I noticed that the CSF had several threaded studs sticking out of the top, but none matched the holes in the (stock) bracket that sits on top of it. The stock rad. had a couple studs that, from what I remember, were secured by a couple nuts (i.e. they matched up with a couple of the holes in the bracket).

Anyway, I Dremel'd the studs off the CSF so the bracket would seat on top of it. Of course the bracket is still secured by 4 bolts (2 on each end) plus the 5 torx-head screws in front, so that's fine.

However, I noticed that there's a little play in the radiator. It seems secured, but I can still move the top of the radiator back & forth a little bit.

I suppose I could have drilled holes in the bracket to match up with the studs on the new rad., and secure with a couple nuts, but it's too late for that now. :eek:

Any thoughts? Or should I just forget it? It doesn't move around much, but I'm wondering if this could be a problem down the line.

Thanks...

At least on RENIX, there are a couple "cushion mounts" - these are located on the studs atop the radiator (secured with nuts,) and then there are studs that stick out of these that are secured to the upper crossmember with nuts.

Did you notice cushions on top of the old radiator? They would have been (probably) about 2" wide and about 3-1/2" to 4" long...

5-90

Back