• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bolt Head Size On 93' 4.0/AW4 Starter Motor

Quarterwave

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

After changing my battery, checking the battery cables and the alternator, I've come to the conclusion that my starter is the reason for my Jeep not starting on the first or 2nd kick like it has up until recently. It's been getting slower and slower over the past week or so which didn't really change once I installed the new battery.

Anyway, my question is - what are the sizes of the bolt heads that secure the starter to the engine ? I've read here on NAXJA that there are 2 or 3 separate sizes... FWIW, the reason I ask is b/c I'm at work as I'm typing and just don't have the time to run out and try to measure them.... Nor do I have the tools to change them out, so I'll be buying them at the same time that I'll be buying the starter this afternoon....

Thanks for any assistance.

One should be 9/16", the other 15m/m (I don't know why, either.)

Correct on one major point tho - if you don't have basic tools (socket sets, socket wrenches, combination wrench sets,) you probably haven't done a lot of automotive work, and you'd be well advised - if you don't have someone in your family who can teach you the basics - to see about taking a basic automotive course or two at your local community college...

5-90

Noted boys, thanks for pointing that out. I have all the tools at home but I had to do the job @ work. It's done now and thanks for the tips on the bolt sizes.

Quarterwave said:
Noted boys, thanks for pointing that out. I have all the tools at home but I had to do the job @ work.

Autozone has a cheapo tool set (wrenches, pliers, sockets, drivers, etc) for $50. I bought one for each car, and they have saved my butt more than once. Nothing like the tools at home, but they've always been enough to get me home.

here.
grnhm99003.jpg

Back