• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc swap?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped to discs finally, but I didn't swap proportioning valves because I wanted to see how it feels.

I can say there is more pedal travel. I bled the brakes with a bottle and had solid fluid when I closed them. Ive always done this method with great success, i just need to know its not air in the line. Is this likely due to the prop valve?

Also how much drag is recommended on the e brake? Currently it's immediate on the handle, but wheels spin 1.5x freely. These don't self adjust do I need to get it right.

The travel loss is due to the volume the rear calipers consume. As far as the E-brake I have not had any luck with a adjustment that I like and am comfortable with.

I had an 8.8 with disc brakes on my last xj and the brakes felt pretty good. They were better than it ever was with the d44 and drums. I didn't do the prop valve, but I like a little rear brake bias anyway. It's always nice to be able to steer if you need to slide.

well as RCP says do to the rear calipers, im just trying to get a feel for how these should behave.
I beaded the pads and got a feel for the pedal travel compared to stock. I expected different, but I was quite surprised that the pedal now goes so far in travel. I dont know if its better, but it is different. It would be nice to know the brakes could lock up if I wanted, not happening lol.

If there was air the pedal would just drop to the floor effortlessly right?

Probably the same sound reasoning that concluded the Utah regional chapter should be the part of the Colorado chapter.

So you can't lock up any of your tires (front/rear)? What size tires are you running?

99 on 35s, no they arent even close to locking up currently. I had a better shot with drums which I find odd.

Also how much drag is recommended on the e brake? Currently it's immediate on the handle, but wheels spin 1.5x freely. These don't self adjust do I need to get it right.

BTW, you have a "parking brake" which is meant to keep a "stopped" vehicle from "rolling". What did you do for cables?

No, but the shim can't go anywhere, it's trapped between the c-clip and the side gear(in my case the locker side shell) and it's centered by the axle shaft! Neither the c-clip or the axle can go anywhere once the center cross-shaft pin is re-installed.

bedded*(EDIT) why did naxja like the idea of removing this feature, oh well.

The "Edit' feature is available to paid members. Go RED.

It amazes me how the many of frequent posters are freeloaders and do not pay, the information you get here is worth more than the $35 a year cost of membership.
Pay up or stop complaining. Become a paid member.

Last edited:
The "Edit' feature is available to paid members. Go RED.

It amazes me how the many of frequent posters are freeloaders and do not pay, the information you get here is worth more than the $35 a year cost of membership.
Pay up or stop complaining. Become a paid member.

I WAS red, maybe offer a basic feature on a forum ide like to support and you'll see red again. I for one would like a more user friendly platform, an edit is a simple function to offer to ANY/All users. Unfortunately, naxja is The Only forum I know of that does this.
For certain edit was important for me as I was once very new here, and I cared enough to edit where I saw fit.
It's simple for anyone red or not to want to edit their post. Be it to help clarify for others in the future, or a simple typo. Are you saying then by not being red lettered, a new user whom would like to edit, is then a freeloader? What if it was my first time posting, am I a freeloader then?
Hell, with your logic why not lock access off all together, pay to enter or never at all.

This being your second time commenting on this subject on my thread, I'll happily encourage you to adjust the beat of your drum. Then, just maybe you might have a few less "FREE LOADERS", but you sir are certainly not helping your plight, not with that attitude.

Ide care to have edit available for all. Say I'm red, say some isn't and would like to edit on a thread I've created. I certainly care to have them edit, is this going to be enabled by my going red??? If you can't say it will then I guess I'm still at odds as a freeloader.

Did you mention the disc you swapped? The Grand Cherokee and the Ford disc that are the favorite have separate parking brakes, completely independent of the hydraulic side. My XJ have already worn out a set of Grand Cherokee disc while still fitted with the original 26 year old master cylinder and combination valve. The pedal is as high as I would ever want it to be.

Time to give your new brakes a once over.

Say I'm red, say some isn't and would like to edit on a thread I've created. I certainly care to have them edit, is this going to be enabled by my going red??? If you can't say it will then I guess I'm still at odds as a freeloader.

Yep, If you are a RED member, you can edit your past postings.
I just went back and edited a posting I made in 2005. It works.

For a forum that isn't up to your high standards, you sure use it a lot.

Back