• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving-Des Moines, IA

97XJ Jeeper

Semper Fi
I am thinking about taking a job offer in DM and going to move somewhere in the area. Is there any good wheeling spots. I noticed some on here are from this area, maybe we will have a chance to meet and you can show me where to go for some good wheeling!

Thanks,
Carl
97XJ Jeeper
NAXJA

There are a few clubs based in Des Moines but our wheeling areas are located southeast of here. They are about an hour from Des Moines depending on what side of town you live on. If you want more details let me know.

yeah, check out www.MIOBI.org and they have one of the better places close to DSM to wheel. It is about an hour to their place (Dan's place actually) There are a bunch of hillbilly homebuilt rigs, but they are a cool bunch to wheel with.

97XJ Jeeper said:
I am thinking about taking a job offer in DM and going to move somewhere in the area. Is there any good wheeling spots. I noticed some on here are from this area, maybe we will have a chance to meet and you can show me where to go for some good wheeling!

Thanks,
Carl
97XJ Jeeper
NAXJA
I'm in Des Moines and to be rightfully honest, there isn't anyplace except MIOBI (which Tyler already suggested) to wheel. MIOBI is down by Lovilia which is about an hour from my house in central DM. There are some illegal places closer but...they're just that and they're pretty scary if you go at night. Let me know if you end up making the move.
-Collin

Thanks, yeah I have heard about MIOBI, but didn't know if you guys had any other places to wheel, like some private land or something. All we have here in the Burlington area is a sand pit that I have permission to mess around in and level B roads which if you tear up to bad you can get into trouble. I had a place about 30 mins away but the guy sold his land and the new owner cut down trees and blocked off all the trails we made.

http://4x4syndicate.com/ has an area to wheel near Brighton, IA but requires 33" tires and lockers. The places where MIOBI.org and JOCCI.com wheel in SE Iowa are both on private land. MIOBI's area has everything from mild trails to a rock garden. JOCCI's area is smaller but still has hills/cracks to climb. You can find pics of people wheeling all these areas on the different club sites.

97XJ Jeeper said:
Thanks, yeah I have heard about MIOBI, but didn't know if you guys had any other places to wheel, like some private land or something. All we have here in the Burlington area is a sand pit that I have permission to mess around in and level B roads which if you tear up to bad you can get into trouble. I had a place about 30 mins away but the guy sold his land and the new owner cut down trees and blocked off all the trails we made.

97XJ Jeeper said:
I tell ya what you're better off than what we are right now. Des Moines seems to be getting tighter and tighter about where people can go. There used to be a large offroad area right along the Raccoon River that I would go and although we weren't encouraged to go back there the owner actually didn't care. He had so many people ditching cars and stuff back in his property that he has now closed it off though. That was the only really fun place next to MIOBI that we had.

90PioSport99 said:
That was the only really fun place next to MIOBI that we had.

what do ya mean the only fun spot??? What about "The Lumber Yard" or "Big Earl's"...now those are some fun spots!!! :gee:

you guys never make the venture to Tuttle Creek in Randolph, Kansas?

I have made the haul to Tuttle this past fall. It was a good time, but it is a minimum of a 5 hour haul one way, so it is a bit far for a weekend trip once you get in the drive time. It is a fun place to say the least. I would be willing to go back if we could get a few guys that wanted to make the trip. We have a place that is about an hour from me that is 300 acres or so and it is basically a free for all. $5 to get in and there are no rules, just dont hit they owners cows. It is fun for an afternoon, but it gets old after that.

Tuttle is a lot of fun. But is it worth a 5hr drive. I don't think so. I want to try miobi sometime, but havn't had the chance yet. The land Tyler is talking about sounds fun from what he has told me. I think we should have a NAXJA thing there sometime. But if your up for a drive there is Disney, OK. That is where I am headed in a week! It is about 4hrs south from kansas city.

Hey Blake, if you want to help me plan an outing at Kirksville, I am cool with that. Maybe one of these weekends you can drive up and explore the place with me (ride along if you like rather then haul your rig this far) and see if you think it might be worth the effort. It is fun for a day, but like I mentioned, it can get old after a while. I am sure if we had a hand full of guys and their rigs that we could try and find/make some new lines and that would keep us busy for a couple of days. Let me know.

damn, I forgot until now, I need to send you some $$ for those coil spacers! you still got em'?

I would bring my rig, but kinda busy this month. Then december is always crazy, but maybe we could fiqure something out. But yes I still have the driveshafts and spacers.

XJ&TJ4ME said:
what do ya mean the only fun spot??? What about "The Lumber Yard" or "Big Earl's"...now those are some fun spots!!! :gee:
Umm Tyler, those are strip clubs and I'm not sure how you would've heard about those...

90PioSport99 said:
Umm Tyler, those are strip clubs and I'm not sure how you would've heard about those...

Ahhh..yes young grasshopper, I am aware that they are strip clubs. If you follow the way of the Mantis, you too can be the next strip club Cassanova!!!

XJ&TJ4ME said:
Ahhh..yes young grasshopper, I am aware that they are strip clubs. If you follow the way of the Mantis, you too can be the next strip club Cassanova!!!
You are one weird sombitch but that's the only way I'd expect you bro.

97CountryXJ said:
AHHHHH, the lumber yard. Yeah!!!
Yeah "Where real men go to get wood."

Back