• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking for a rear axle

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Well the pinion bearings finally decided to give up the ghost so I am in search of a cheap or free replacement. My vehicle is a 96 cherokee with an 8.25 and 3.55 gears.
I am looking for a d35 or 8.25 for a short term replacement. I prefer an 8.25 but a d35 will do also.
Anybody?

Kim

Kim,
I've got a d35 with 3.55's in it, but it would need perches for an XJ and spider gears. I've got a carrier that you could have the spiders from.

Let me double check that the ring and pinion weren't damaged when the sipders went.

It's yours for free, and I can probably dig up enough old brake parts so it would be complete.

let me know, planning on being up that way for meatfest.

Kim,
I can get you a 44 housing (with gears needs shafts), or just about anyother axle you might want.

Well after this weekend of searching I have come up with a couple of ways to go. I just picked up an 85 cherokee chief for next to nothing and if the gearing is right I will put in the d35 and wheel it for a day until it breaks.

Next option is a 9" out of a first generation Bronco that has a locker already with 3.55 gears.

Go with the free option or wait and spend some money:dunno: Don't know yet.

Kim

85xjwoody said:
Well after this weekend of searching I have come up with a couple of ways to go. I just picked up an 85 cherokee chief for next to nothing and if the gearing is right I will put in the d35 and wheel it for a day until it breaks.

Next option is a 9" out of a first generation Bronco that has a locker already with 3.55 gears.

Go with the free option or wait and spend some money:dunno: Don't know yet.

Kim

lockers are tasty

87manche said:
lockers are tasty

Lockers are tasty but 28 spline shafts are not for my right foot and a price take of $100.00

This is one choice I have. This 85 I picked up has 4.10 gears so I will be putting the rear d35 in for the time being and trading carriers and pinions in the front.
Or I can get a 2001 model c8.25 with 3.55 for $140.00 with a one year warranty and put that in and have 29 spline shafts.
I am really leaning towards changing the gears first because I can go to an 8.8 for a decent price too and have 31 spline shafts.
Decisions, Decisions.

Kim

I can see your quandry, I'm in a similar situation, planning to go 8.8 eventually.

Whenyou go 8.8 let me know, the local yard here has them for cheap, like $90.

87manche said:
When you go 8.8 let me know, the local yard here has them for cheap, like $90.

I found a good deal on a 2000 model with 4.10 gears for $100.00. Most are around that price around here.

Kim

got an 8.25 with 3.07's, needs all the brakes but it's a good rear end. free if you come and get it.

just crushed two other 8.25's, scrap prices are soooo good now.

Fore Wheeler said:
got an 8.25 with 3.07's, needs all the brakes but it's a good rear end. free if you come and get it.

just crushed two other 8.25's, scrap prices are soooo good now.

No thanks on the axle. Scrap prices are the best I have seen in awhile. I will be bringing a trailer load there in a couple of days. Need some money to buy another heap:D.

Kim

Back