• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get a diagnostic code reader--How much and where???

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
Where to get a diagnostic code reader--How much and where???

My check engine light came on and I've been having some problems at start up with my 98'zj. Is there a diagnostic tool for a 4.0L 91'+? I have a 91' xj too and would like something I can use for both of them preferably.

The 98 ZJ is OBD-II compliant. Not certain, but I believe the 91 XJ is OBD-I (or just ODB) compliant. OBD-II came on-line starting with the 1996 model year.

Both JC Whitney and AutoZone sell the same Actron Autoscanner. For the OBD-II (ONLY!) unit, AutoZone wants $149.99 and JC Witless wants $159.99. This unit will do your 98 ZJ but not the 91 XJ.

Both places also sell the Actron Super Autoscanner. This one comes with a cable for OBD-II but, with optional extra cables, is also capable of reading OBD-I codes. This is available just as the scan tool for $279.99 from AutoZone or $299.99 from JC Witless. For an additional 100 clams, the super scanner can be bought as a complete kit, that includes the OBD-I cables and a CD-ROM with a detailed code list for all the manufacturers.

Thanks for the info Eagle. Not cheap, but neither are the labor rates. I can vouch for the 96'+ going to OBD2. I needed to get a cat for my 95' and I was very happy to hear I could get an aftermarket 1 installed for $120.

Troy

with the XJ just turn the key to the on postion with out starting it 3 times in a row and watch the check engine light flash to ge the codes of.as far as i know these codes should be the same so look here

You can go to Autozone and borrow one of theirs with just leaving a deposit if you don't want to buy one because they are so expensive. I've done this to check the codes on my wifes vehicle (OBD-II) and the deposite was ~$150 but they give it all back when you return the unit. I believe the also have scanners for older vehicles because they ask what year your vehicle is so they can get the right scanner.
Just another option for us broke folks.

don't know about hte older ones, but for the odb2 ones go to autozone and get their $79 reader. It will read the codes as well as let you reset the CE.

Thanks guys. I'll try the ignition flash code thing 1st, and/or rent the diagnostic tool from Autozone

My bro-in-law and I split the bill on the Super scanner that reads anything from 85'+ it wasn't cheap at $279, but I have 4 vehicles, my inlaws have 5 vehicles and I remember bringing my vehicles into a shop too many times for minor things I found out later that I could have fixed because the "check engine" came on. GY told me that I could fix the problem, but they would have to charge me another $79 to turn off the "check engine" light if it didn't go off by disco the battery for 20 minutes. I guess the earlier vehicles, if U disco the battery the computer resets, but on the newer ones you usually have to turn it off with another code. If anyone needs there vehicle analyzed I have the reader. :)
Troy

How did it work out?

Big Red said:
My bro-in-law and I split the bill on the Super scanner that reads anything from 85'+ it wasn't cheap at $279, but I have 4 vehicles, my inlaws have 5 vehicles and I remember bringing my vehicles into a shop too many times for minor things I found out later that I could have fixed because the "check engine" came on. GY told me that I could fix the problem, but they would have to charge me another $79 to turn off the "check engine" light if it didn't go off by disco the battery for 20 minutes. I guess the earlier vehicles, if U disco the battery the computer resets, but on the newer ones you usually have to turn it off with another code. If anyone needs there vehicle analyzed I have the reader. :)
Troy

I realize this is an older thread I'm resurrecting, but I'm interested in buying one myself and would be interested to know how you like the one you bought.

Would you recommend it? Does it work on both ODB-I and ODB-II vehicles? That will be a requirement for mine.

Anthing else you could share from your experience would be helpful.

Thanks!

we have one at advance for about 80 bucks, then one for 150 bucks that reads obd-2. none of them work with obd-1 though, unless you can find the adapter cable or buy the 350 dollar reader that does both.

I love the scanner. I have used it on 3 vehicles for people at work with 96'+ OBD2 computers. I need to get the cables for my OBD1 91' XJ. I really like it and it is easy to use to dianose what is wrong. My bro-in-law and I each went 1/2 way on the $300 unit from Kragen the Super Scanner for any vehicles from 85'+. I would suggest it. 1st though you might want to put down a deposit and try Kragen's out before you buy it because it isn't cheap, but with the # of vehicles I have my wife's family has, it was a no brainer.

Troy

I have a POS Harbor Freight one that will read OBD-II P-codes. It was $39.99 on sale. It isn't great, but for $40 I don't really care either. The Actrons seem to be relatively inexpensive the DIY standard.

Timber said:
I have a POS Harbor Freight one that will read OBD-II P-codes. It was $39.99 on sale. It isn't great, but for $40 I don't really care either. The Actrons seem to be relatively inexpensive the DIY standard.
The Harbor Freight unit works, and that's the bottom line. My biggest reservation with it is that IT decides when to erase the codes, you don't get to decide when you're finished. I remember when I read the instructions I thought you could avoid erasing the codes by aborting at a certain point, but I never tried it.I had bought that scanner for someone else. Also, it won't do OBD-I.

For $39 that one would be okay to throw in a mobile toolbox for taking or trail rides. For in the garage at home I went with the OBD-II model from AutoZone. In my case, I didn't need to pay more for OBD-I capability, because my XJs and MJs are all OBD-II or Renix ... nothing in between.

Thanks for the feedback. If I'm going to spend the money one one, I want it to work on all of my vehicles, so I'll probably wait and get the Super AutoScanner.

I am sorry, I did not see yours is 1991. I have no idea what to use on it.

Eagle said:
My biggest reservation with it is that IT decides when to erase the codes, you don't get to decide when you're finished.
Yeah, I've noticed that. It's always in my center console just in case I need it on the road.

Back