• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0463 - Fuel Gauge Reads Empty

joalyons

NAXJA Forum User
Our fuel gauge in the 98 XJ doesnt work so I checked the codes and Im getting P0463. I checked the Ohms at the fuel pump plug and it seemed weird so I replaced the fuel pump and sending unit. When I pulled the tank and the old sending unit the Ohms seemed fine, but I installed the new one anyway and I still have the same problem, fuel gauge reads empty. I cleared the code and it comes right back, any ideas on where the problem could be, a bad ground, bad connection to the computer? Any ideas would be helpful.

Found the problem, started to trace the wires from the pump up to the computer and found that the ground wire had broken in the rubber grommet right under the rear seat where the wires go into the passenger compartment. Easy fix, some new wire, and heat shrink tubing and I was done. Hopefully this will help someone else find the issue.

I hope that is my problem. I also have a 98 XJ and mine just stopped working too. I also had to replace my fuel pump because regulator took a crap, then the new pumps regulator took a crap a month later. I'm on to new pump #2. All seems good so far...

I just that code after plugging in the scanner, wasn't even getting check engine light, I was looking to fix the airbag light. P0463 (Fuel level sensor A circuit high), I will have to check the wiring under the seats, thanks joalyons for the tip.

Back