• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem With Dash Gauges - I Searched

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My recently acquired '99 XJ has been sitting for a few weeks while I perform basic maintenance and overhaul the cooling system. Seems I have what appears to be a common problem with intermittent gauges. They are dead more than working and the airbag light stays on. I searched and am about to remove the dash & clean the connectors.

But something else happened so I have a question.

Yesterday while the gauges were dead I happened to turn on the headlights and the gauges jumped to life. I found that if I fiddled with the headlight switch, it triggered the gauges although they don't stay on. Is there another angle to the problem or is this still just the ol' "clean the connectors" solution? I haven't read anywhere else that the headlight switch has ever been involved. Any thoughts on this?

Intermittent gauges caused by dirty connections are common, so common that Jeep published a TSB, and put together a repair kit for the Dealerships to keep in stock in the Parts Department. Your Jeep may have a ground connection problem, locate and clean the G107 and G108 dashboard grounds. While you are under there, make sure the C100 Data Link connector is clean and tight.

http://www.4wdmechanix.com/How-to-XJ-Cherokee-Erratic-Gauges-Fix?r=1

The Service Bulletin:

NO: 08-15-99
SUBJECT: Erratic, Intermittent Cluster Operation/Intermittent Air Bag Warning light.
DATE: May 21, 1999

OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves installing a repair harness containing a revised instrument cluster connector.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Some vehicles may exhibit an intermittent illumination of the air bag warning light or an intermittent tachometer or speedometer drop out. An Airbag Electronic Control Module (AECM) fault code -"No Cluster CCD BUS " message will be present.

PARTS REQUIRED:
Qty Part No. Description
1 05016261AA Cluster Connector Patch Harness
1 04856975 Electric Contact Cleaner
2 04778570 Heat Shrink Tubing

Last edited:
Back