• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Np 231 Transfer case leak

CallMeMilk

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 Cherokee with a NP231 Transfer Case. I rebuilt it and replaced all the seals and the bearings. I reinstalled it and it leaks really bad but only when under way. I thought it was the output shaft seals on the rear driveline but it is dry. It seems to be soaked with ATF where my t-case and transmission meet. the cross member is also soaked pretty bad. I know its not my transmission seal because its not low on fluid and the t-case needs to be constantly filled. my question is that do I need to use RTV on the mating surface of the t-case and the transmission. I didn't see any old RTV or anything on the mating surface so I assumed it didn't need it when I was installing it.

You don't need RTV between the transmission and the tcase. It may be the input seal that is leaking so bad.

I had a leaking issue with my NP242 recently - on the driver's side of the tcase, just behind the shift lever on the tcase there is supposed to be a rubber plug that seals a hole that is used for a roll pin. My rubber plug fell out and puked fluid out any time when I was underway. It ended up grenading my transfer case when it ran dry. Just something else to check for.

Is it an auto or manual? On an auto, the output seal on the tranny goes bad and it weeps out between the tranny and tcase and all over everything. You can't tell the difference because both use ATF.

Its an auto. I know its the transfer case cause when I fill it it goes empty in like an hour of driving, and the trans fluid is still full and hasn't lost any fluid.

Back