• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

new engine=hotter temp?

sinat01

NAXJA Forum User
So 99 XJ 4.0 motor has about 1100 miles on it now, new electric fan, fan clutch is good, 195 thermostat, newish water pump and clean coolant. The temp gauge used to sit dead center at 210* with the old motor. with the new one I put in, it sits at about 214 or so. and it turns the e-fan on very quickly in traffic at im guessin 218* I havnt gotten a chance to take it out to crawl to see if itll overheat but I think it might. Does anyone have any idea what would cause a new motor to run warmer?
Hasta

It shouldn't be running hot, I've only got 350 miles on my stroker and it's sitting straight up at 210*!

Verify that it's actually running hotter with an external thermometer. It's possible that disturbing the connections during the swap may have changed circuit resistance causing an incorrect reading.

My last engine swap I installed a new thermostat, don't remember the brand. It ran a little hotter than the old engine. A few years later, I change the thermostat because the waterneck would weep coolant. The new Stant thermostat stopped the weeping and the temp gauge reads like it used to.

A 4 degree temp difference is within the measurement uncertainty and well within the normal operating range.

"fan clutch good" maybe not? Maybe it is going bad, just not that bad yet?

Back