• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Magnetic Kill Switch Issues, Diagram

Erik-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Been working on a hidden killswitch for my ‘92 XJ since I’m moving out to LA soon. I wanted to keep it as complicated as possible for a would-be joyrider, so I opted for a hidden magnetic reed killswitch.

I found a old forum post on using a setup with a DPDT relay, a N/O Reed Switch, and a N/C Momentary Button (plus led’s). I’ve recently rewired all my accessories and various powered upgrades, so I felt decently comfortable going in.

Cut my ignition coil circuit, setup my LED’s for armed/disarmed mode, and hid the relay. However it ended up not working; button made an audible click in the relay, never cut the circuit to “kill” the Jeep, & no power to led’s.

I triple checked my wiring, but to no avail. I’m assuming I either have a bad relay, or the diagram was incorrect (looks quite basic for the function it intended). Spent all this time and currently at a stand-still, any thoughts?

Any help is greatly appreciated

-Diagram for reference-

aba2baf7759d856b882576ab8bb3e502.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That should work of your relay contact are:

_Normally Closed 1.................._NC2
_Normally Open 1.................... _NO2
_Common 1.............................._Common 2

_Coil Positive............................_Coil Neg.

Last edited:
That schematic is functional IF you are connected properly to the COMMON, N.O. and N.C. of each circuit.

Be sure the momentary button is a N.C. and not N.O.
There is no reason to even have that other than for a test but it is silly at best.

EDIT,........

Re; reed switch and push button, the intention is to wave a magnet across the reed which will latch the relay through the jumper on it, then use the n.c. push button to break the circuit and put it back in the "armed mode".

Again, will function of wired correctly, the fact that even the LEDs don't light indicates your wiring is wrong.

If when the engine is running you unplug the relay it should kill the engine. Does it ?

Been working on a hidden killswitch for my ‘92 XJ since I’m moving out to LA soon.

L.A. is not quite the lawless outpost you may have been led to believe. I’ve lived here most of my life and have never had a vehicle stolen, and off the top of my head I don’t think I know anyone who has. Still, a hidden kill switch can’t hurt, so go for it. And get yourself a money belt.

Just yanking your chain. No offense taken or intended.

Back