• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Twin Turbo

you could always try a compound setup like they run on a cummings, little turbo that spools up quick, to feed a big fat turbo to make lots of power. but i think you would have to have a pretty dedicated motor to run a setup like 2 turbos.

you could always try a compound setup like they run on a cummings, little turbo that spools up quick, to feed a big fat turbo to make lots of power. but i think you would have to have a pretty dedicated motor to run a setup like 2 turbos.

FYI, You have it backwards. The large (low Pressure) turbo feeds into the smaller (high Pressure) Turbo. There are a lot of calculations to do based on the size of the engine and then how the 2 turbos will feed/react to eachother.

why stop at 2?

Chevy-pressure-cooker.jpg

yes there are 8 turbos on that thing.

Bet that thing doesn't have much turbo lag with those little guys on it.

Why???

What is the advantage to running something like that...

It's surprising how many people think "More is better" when it comes to turbos. In fact it's the complete opposite. Only when a specific engine/chassis configuration won't allow a single turbo due to space limitations should more be considered (such as most V8s).

As the number of turbo's increase...
- An Increase in inefficiency due to larger gap area between turbo wheels and housings. This results in more energy creating heat instead of directly powering the turbo.
- Turbo lag increases due to the slight increase in inefficiency
- Overall expense increases
- Increases plumping (depending on engine/chassis)
- Increases the need for an oil supply
- Increases engine bay heat

BigRed,

You are in Colorado. Talk to Boostwerks

:thumbup:

Homemade compound set up my buddy put on his 2g eclipse.... Sick nasty! I dont care if you are into imports or not, he made this from scratch. Form an engenering standpoint just amazing. At least to me...

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/custom-fabrication/336541-my-compound-turbo-set-up.html

dyno results:609 WHP and 541 ft/lbs torque. This was at 47 PSI! Click on link below to see an amazing power curve for a boosted motor!
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/dyno-talk/378908-compound-turbo-dyno-results.html

Homemade compound turbo set-up. Uses a ported 2G manifold and a fabricated 3" crosspipe. Turbonetics T4 60-1 (.68 A/R twin scroll turbine housing, P-wheel), MHI B16G w/ 7cm housing & 15* turbine clip, twin TIAL 44mm WG's, Magnus SMIM, 1G TB, Fidanza cam gears, SBR/Kinetic FMIC, twin GReddy Type-S BOV's, modified 1G aluminum radiator, Thermal R&D cat-back, homemade 3" SS downpipe, Aeromotive AFPR, in-tank Denso Supra 280lph feeding a Bosch 044, Lucas 1200's, -6 braided fuel feed, Hallman MBC, twin 12" SPAL pusher fans, Taylor 10.4mm wires w/ NGK plugs (br8es), Calan's large filtered catch can, pre-TB meth injection, Race Ready electric cut-out

Engine Management:
ECMlink V3 (speed density), Innovate LC-1 Wideband, Dynatek ARC-2, Autometer boost & oil press, GM IAT, AEM 5-bar MAP

Engine Internals:
7-bolt 2.0L: Wiseco 9:1's (.020 over), Eagle H-beams, M77 rod bearings, ACL main bearings, O-ring'd block, OE composite HG, revised lifters, Kelford 272's, Kiggly springs and retainers, ARP L19 head studs Current spool times: 10 psi @ 3264 RPM 20 psi @ 3720 RPM 30 psi @ 4058 RPM 40 psi @ 4418 RPM

Drivetrain Modifications:
AWD swap'd GST - TRE tranny - Double syncro 1st-3rd, 11% taller first, welded center diff, ACT 2600 PP, ClutchNet 6-puck sprung hub disk, Driveshaft Shop level 2 rear axles, SS braided clutch line, B&M short shifter w/ Symborski kit & tranny linkage shifter kit

Suspension Modifications:
Street: Racing Hart 18x7.5" Z5000's w/ Kumho ECSTA MX tires, Race: Motegi 15x6.5" Traklites w/ Hoosier QTPs, D2 coilovers, Ingalls Camber Kit, Wilwood Dynapro 4-piston calipers, 11.75" drilled and scalloped rotors, Wilwood SS brake hoses, Baer Decela rear rotors w/ Hawk pads, Prothane engine mounts & solid aluminum roll stops

Last edited:
Compound is another story all together. For very high pressure it's the only way possible. For 8 psi it's retarded.

What most people don't understand is that for many systems larger is more efficient. An all-out race motor _might_ benefit from sequential turbos. But a single turbo can easily make our 6 blow up, so there's no need for two. On V-engines twin turbos are used for packaging reasons only. A single large turbo would is more efficient.

That is amazing!

I'm not the biggest fan of gasoline compound setups due to the fact that they need to run rediculous pressure to put out power. This is because they have to force all that air through the small turbo in the system. In a diesel application though where detonation and preignition is less of a concern they are ideal.

His power curve is impressive, HOWEVER... it is possible to get nearly the same torque curve with a simple single. A Garrett twin scrowl GT35R with a billet compressor wheel, combined with a properly fabricated divided manifold will result in nearly the same torque curve. It'll also be at a lower pressure, and lower intake temps = gas/detonation freindly.

Not to mention that I'm big fan of KISS (keep it simple stupid).

Back