NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 1st, 2017, 19:07
NAXJA Forum User

Re: New guy build-The Family Truckster

Got one side all done. Other side is about 3/4 done.

Old December 26th, 2017, 19:04
NAXJA Forum User

It's coming together slowly. Got the SYE installed and t-case back installed. Fresh paint on the trans cross member and my fabricated transmission mount.

Started on the driver side motor mount. I love having my mini fixture table. Makes measuring stuff like this so easy.

Picked up a new toy. $200 for a very basic 3-1 mill/drill/lathe machine. It was never used and was still covered in grease from 1994. It is so nice to be able to face off tubing to make it square. I wish I would have paid attention better in High School shop class. I'm learning as I go.

Old December 27th, 2017, 06:57
NAXJA Member #1145

Got any info on the mini fixture table?
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old December 27th, 2017, 15:34
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by burntkat View Post
Got any info on the mini fixture table?
I made it from 3/8” cold rolled steel. The top slats are 3” wide with 5/8” holes every 2”. There are 2 2” runners on the underside tying it all together. The space between the top slats allowes a c-clamp to fit in.

I really wanted a tab and slot style table, but they are expensive and I’m cheap. I also have a really solid workbench with a stainless top. The small size let’s me move it out of the way when needed. I absolutely love it, being able to fixture parts is amazing. I should have built it a long time ago.
Old December 28th, 2017, 06:48
NAXJA Member #1145

Quote:
Originally Posted by SByota View Post
I made it from 3/8” cold rolled steel. The top slats are 3” wide with 5/8” holes every 2”. There are 2 2” runners on the underside tying it all together. The space between the top slats allowes a c-clamp to fit in.

I really wanted a tab and slot style table, but they are expensive and I’m cheap. I also have a really solid workbench with a stainless top. The small size let’s me move it out of the way when needed. I absolutely love it, being able to fixture parts is amazing. I should have built it a long time ago.
I'd love to see pics if at all possible. Perhaps a different thread?

Apologies if you've already posted pics- I can't see them, or indication of them, at work.

I was looking at this:
https://weldtables.com/collections/p...ar-pro-top-kit It's a 2X3 kit that ships flat, then you knock it together and weld into a reinforced structure.
-90 XJ 4.0, AW4, 231J: Clayton's longarms, RE 5.5" coils, hybrid 6" leaf pack, 33/12.50/15" MTs, Rancho 99012s and 99624s, Tera HD SYE, custom sliders, BW flares. Rehabbing with D44s, RE spring packs, RE 4.5" coils, and ACOS.
-94 ZJ: Budget boost, 31s. The wife's DD.
-97 XJ: Son's DD. 4" lift, ACOS, 4" spring pack, Upcountry coils, 31s
Old December 29th, 2017, 18:52
NAXJA Forum User

Worked on the driver side motor mount plate today. The stock ones are only held on by 3 bolts and are prone to failure. I am also going to raise the motor up 1/2" to help with track bar clearance at full bump. Also had a little garage elf with me.

Old January 8th, 2018, 10:52
NAXJA Forum User

Driver side motor mount done and installed. I made a really stupid mistake and somehow lost an inch when I located the through bolt holes on the motor plate side. Should have measured 4 times I guess. I was able to fix it, but it didn't come out as clean. At least its done.
Old January 13th, 2018, 21:21
NAXJA Forum User

Every once and a while I get one just right. Passenger side motor mount almost done.

Old January 23rd, 2018, 17:01
NAXJA Forum User

Motor mounts all done and installed. Of course the second one was WAY faster than the first one. Started on the double shear for the pitman arm. It's all tacked up ready to be burned in. Ran out of time today and had to get ready for work.
Old January 31st, 2018, 11:42
NAXJA Forum User

Exhaust is all done and. The OEM system was rusted out and done. It was also tiny!! as small as 1.5" in places. It's all 2.5" now with a cheapie Summit Racing "race bullet" muffler, which is basically small glasspack. This was my first time doing exhaust, I'm pretty stoked on how it came out. Front axle truss and gears are next, the I can do final assembly on the front.
on how it came out.

Old February 10th, 2018, 09:53
NAXJA Forum User

Got the new exhaust installed for real. Started painting stuff and getting the front end prepped for final assembly. It feels good to be getting somewhere.

Old February 10th, 2018, 16:41
NAXJA Member

I love the fab work on this, great job. I also like your mini fixture table. I take it with the slots you're able to use cheaper and easier to source C-clamps.

Do you have any more pictures of your upper shock mounts? I have the generic adapters on mine but really like how yours turned out.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 14:56
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
I love the fab work on this, great job. I also like your mini fixture table. I take it with the slots you're able to use cheaper and easier to source C-clamps.

Do you have any more pictures of your upper shock mounts? I have the generic adapters on mine but really like how yours turned out.
Yes, the space between the slats lets me use regular C-clamps. I also drilled 5/8” holes and modified some C-clamps into fixture style clamps. Lots of clamping options helps tremendously.

The upper shock mounts are T&J Performance pre-fabbed mounts with gussets added to the OEM unibody. Let me see if I can find more detailed pictures.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 18:35
NAXJA Forum User

You've got some nice welding skills. Like your exhaust. I just did my exhaust last summer. 2.5 summit pipes and band clamps with magnaflow hiflow cat and borla muffler.
Have some things on the to-do list you have already done...frame stiffeners, motor mounts, & SYE.
Nice pitman arm! Also, looks like you've got a future jeeper in the works. I could use some help...send him my way when he gets a few years on him!! Hee hee!!!
Old March 10th, 2018, 17:04
NAXJA Forum User

Front axle is DONE! I built a full truss and added plates to the upper "C's". Welded out all of the link and shock mounts, threw in a set of 4:88 gears with all new bearings etc. This was my first time doing gears, it was and experience for sure. Lots of trial and error, swapping shims over and over again. Ended up super happy with the pattern and with backlash at .008". I would be able to do it so much faster now! Next step is putting the front end together, feels good to make progress.