• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 underhood power center to 87

87manche

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone done this before? I've been searching, but I've not found anything useful. I'm wanting to switch the current underhood power distribution with fusible links to a new style with maxi-fuses and newer style relays. Not to mention that it will give me all sorts of extra fused circuits for light relays and anything else I want. I picked up the 94 PDC from the yard today, and I'm figuring out what color wires go to what fuses and relays. I'm planning on ripping out the original relay block and fusible links and replacing it. Hopefully it's a direct swap and just some wiring harness work.

I'll be sure top tae pictures and do a writeup if it has't been done already.
Forgot the specs:
87 MJ 4.0 5 sp

old_man said:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=263-690

Check these guys out. The stuff is used for high power audio.
I will take a look into what they have, but I'm looking at putting the entire PDC from a 94 into the 87. I cut it out of the harness with all of it's wires, and I took the 4 GA wire that went to the battery. I'l have to take a pic of what I've got, and what i'd like to do with it.

Here's a pic of the relay box I ripped out of the 94.
DSCF0033.jpg

I just want to replace all the fusible links and relays in the 87 with this entire unit. It will be cleaner than anything I can fab up.

87manche - did that PDC swap ever work out for you? I have an 88MJ that i want to do the same thing, since i have recently discovered that a number of my fusible links are shot. Also, how much can i expect to pay at the boneyard. As far as the cover goes, a new one from the stealership runs about $15.

I have the cover with that unit.
I have metered out all of the wire in the PDC, and have my list of what colored wires need to go where. I've just been waiting for warmer weather. I have a hard time working with wires while I have gloves on. I paid $25 I think for the whole unit, fuses and relays included.
There's a lot of fuses and relays that are going to go unused in te MJ, I'm keeping the list of what wires go where for future electrical mods.

me too. I'm tired of dealing with the renix rat's nest of wires in there. In all reality there's not a whole lot to make a renix 4.0 run. I'm using 3 of the relays in the PDC, and like 4 or 5 of the fuses. The rest I'm goingto pull the fuses and tag the wires. Then when I add more lights, or a cb or soemthing, I can run dedicated lines from the PDC for the cleanest power possible. I was going to start on it, but my garage just isn't big enough to pull the MJ in and close the door. SO it's going to have to wait until spring.

fusible link wire should be 2 guages smaller than the wire it's protecting. I've asked many times about the amperage ratings, nobody really has any.

Yea, i'm in the process of unwinding all the black tape and old wire loom. That way i can inspect all the wires and begin the documentation process before unhooking anything. I had planned on just replacing all the wiring until i searched and found your great idea. Its, kinda funny, the wifes ZJ fits in the garage with plenty of room to spare, but my LWB Comanche is so tight in there that i have to go through the doors to get to the other side!

Back