• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anti Theft

Ecarlcl

NAXJA Forum User
What can I do with my Jeep to make it harder to steal? I am already unplugging the resistor that supplies power to the coil when I leave it. I think that alarms are like radar detectors, they just let you know when you are screwed. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ecarlcl

First off Im sure you are aware that if they really want it they are gonna get it. But putting that aside, layered security with visual deterents is the best bet. I kill switch , alarm, column lock, the club...put them all on there with the flashing LEDS and trust me no thief is going to waste his time trying to get your XJ. Also park your Jeep where it can be seen by many, dont leave anything of value inside. Hide your CDs, radio, amps, leather jacket, etc.

XJguy

Get drunk one night with some rattle cans and paint it camo... if you do a good job they won't even see it; if you do a bad job, maybe they'll be to self consious to wanna drive it around :D
gl-06.jpg

I'm not sure which one is workin' for me :dunno:
rofl.gif

Another vote for a hidden fuel pump switch.

XJguy said:
First off Im sure you are aware that if they really want it they are gonna get it. But putting that aside, layered security with visual deterents is the best bet. I kill switch , alarm, column lock, the club...put them all on there with the flashing LEDS and trust me no thief is going to waste his time trying to get your XJ. Also park your Jeep where it can be seen by many, dont leave anything of value inside. Hide your CDs, radio, amps, leather jacket, etc.

XJguy

That's the ticket, layered security. Never rely on just one device. I've got four layers of defense: factory system, aftermarket system, steering wheel/airbag anti-theft club (covers entire steering wheel), battery cut off. Layer your defenses is the best tactic no matter where you are.

The scarey paint sceme isn't a big deterrent especially if you leave the keys in it, don't ask. I now have a fuel pump cut-off, (head-light dimmer on the fuel pump ballast resistor, '89). I'd like install a re-movable Grant steering wheel for the icing on the cake.

Figured many serious thiefs have figured out how to defeat most standard alarms.
After my alarm had gone off late one night, I noticed the smell of battery acid (thieves had punched a serious hole in my battery). Stood guard and let the dogs loose when they came back. Dogs had fun. The whole circus was almost worth the price of a new battery.
I now have a seperate battery pack, wired to a tip sensor and a hidden horn, that can be removed and used for a spot light, video recorder or emergency start. Under the back seat. In addition to my normal alarm.

forgiven said:
I now have a fuel pump cut-off, (head-light dimmer on the fuel pump ballast resistor, '89).

Could you explain what this means? I find myself wondering if you accidently kill the fuel pump every time you hit the high beams when driving at night, so I'm sure I'm missing something but your post isn't very detailed.

PM me if you don't want to put the details up on a public forum.

RFI (request for information)

Sorry, I installed a floorboard dimmer switch like those found in an older vehicle. Click on-click off, two wires, even a chimp could wire it. WHen you try to start it, it'll run for a few seconds then sputter annd die, it'll crank all day but not run. I put it high and to the left in my foot well. I know it's not really hard to find but any second that a thief has to figure out why it will not start is another second he could be caught.

Last edited:
Back